NYC BLUEGRASS SLOW JAM (for Adv beginners and Int players) Message Board › informal jamming in NYC anyone?

informal jamming in NYC anyone?

A former member
Post #: 3
I just got back from a banjo camp in Bronxville. It was for both bluegrass and old time banjo. Teachers were Bille Keith, Eric Weisberg, Mark Horowitz, Tony Trischka and a great fiddle player by the name of Andy Kaufman. This totally de-mystified jamming for me. I would like to find a few players to get together on an informal basis to do some basic jamming. I live in the West Village.
Sue B.
user 3161346
Group Organizer
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 11
Hi. I had really wanted to go to that banjo camp, but something came up and I couldn't go. How was the camp? Do you recommend it? Regarding jamming, why not go to the slow jam and ask around? When you hear someone that you think you would like to play with, then ask them. I'm not sure what your level of playing is, but it's good to have a player that knows alot of songs. Maybe that's you? Have you been to the slow jam? There's people there that might be into it... I think it's important to hand pick the people that you want to play with in order to ensure that everyone is not a beginning player. The jam would be difficult if that were the case... Just a word of advice. Thanks.
A former member
Post #: 4
Hi Sue

the camp was great and part of the reason was a student teacher ratio of 5 to 2! Mark Horowitz who was recently featured in the Banjo Newsletter and Hank Sapoznik were the two clawwhammer teachers but they brought Andy Kaufman with them - a great fiddler. Bluegrass teachers were Tony Trischka, Bill Keith and Eric Weissberg. I had been two of Pete Warnick.s camps when I played bluegrass and never felt comfortable there. I came to one slow jam last year but picked a day when there was a special event. A party of some sort and there were 35 people there. Way too many to jam with. I do intend to come back this year now that this camp has succeeded in getting the fear of jamming out of me.