addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Kayakers' Alliance Message Board › Paddling destination: the Mare Island Strait and the Napa River

Paddling destination: the Mare Island Strait and the Napa River

Ted H.
user 7007795
Crockett, CA
Post #: 17
Mare Island has industrial scenery (an abandoned naval base with shipyards and dry docks), occasional small sandy beaches, a restored WWII-era ship, and this last summer it had at least four active osprey nests near the water, and two more where the MI Strait meets the Carquinez Strait. (You can use the photos in my flickr photostream to locate the osprey nests on a map by looking at the geotag to the right of each image.)

The Napa River starts north of Mare Island and of highway 37, and the scenery changes to sloughs and tules. There is the partial wreckage of an old destroyer called the USS Corry about 3 1/2 miles north of the 37 bridge--I don't think there's much left to see, but I'd like to get some photos of it for my shipwreck collection. There are sloughs that lead into the marshes north of San Pablo Bay; I've head that there's a ghost town somewhere in there. I don't suppose it would be prudent to go in without a GPS.

I have the strait marked on a google map (with some other destinations), and there is a NOAA nav chart for the area.

There can be strong currents and the Vallejo Ferries arrive and depart frequently. The river is probably too shallow to navigate when the tide is lower than 2' (at a guess). Launching would be from Brinkman's Marina in Vallejo or Green Island in American Canyon.