addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Lower Mainland Bookcrossing Meetup Group Message Board › Hello from England

Hello from England

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi all!
Happy new year, I hope you all had good holidays. I'm settled back in England now, missing Vancouver lots but it's good to have my book collection back! I was sorting through my books today and I was astounded at how many books I own that I haven't actually read yet. I decided to devote a shelf of my bookcase to them so I can make sure I read, only it turned into two and a half shelves with fifty-five books. FIFTY FIVE!!! Isn't that appalling of me? Second hand bookshops have a lot to answer for, it's all because of when I go and buy several books at the same time, start reading one and put the others in the bookcase, and then before I get round to reading them I go and do the whole thing again. Anyway, my new year's resolution is to make sure I've read all 55 of them by the end of 2006!
I've actually just heard about a challenge some people have set themselves, and some of you might like the idea of joining in - the basic idea is to read your height in books over the course of the year, so you have to measure the width of the spine of each book you read, and hope it all adds up to your height by the end of the year. Rather unfair for the taller ones amongst us (or maybe not - after all, it's an excuse to read more books!). I thought I might give it a go, even if I am on the tall side...I've never kept track of how many books I read in a year so it might be interesting.
Anyway, I hope you're all doing OK and have lots of good books to read this year!
Starr
A former member
Post #: 191
Hey Starr,

I've been thinking about you. Glad to hear you made it back, safe and sound. Obviously, you are settling in back home.

Well, finally the sun is shining in beautiful Vancouver, but only lately. We've had relentless rain since December, so much so that I'm afraid to look too closely at my fingers and toes for fear of finding they are now webbed.

Good luck with your reading resolution. It is an interesting proposition - to read your height in books. And, you are on the tall side, so it'll keep your nose between the pages!

We've been missing you at the meetups. We have one in Burnaby at Metrotown on Monday and one at Our Town Cafe on Tuesday. Not sure which one I'll go to, but I'll try to make it to one.

I'll be sure to let the gang know that you've posted here.

Meanwhile, take care and keep in touch.
Serena
Marina
themarina
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 120
Hi Starr!

Wonderful to hear from you! Like Serena mentioned, you've just missed the beginings of some really beautiful, though rather chilly, weather.

As for the number of un-read books, 55 is really not that bad of a number. I've lost track of what I have to read. I just can't help myself. I just keep buying more...The challenge is a good one and though I don't think I can squeeze that many books into my life, I have challenged myself to 40. We'll see if I get there!

Make sure you keep us posted on the happenings around town!

Talk soon,

Marina