addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Lower Mainland Bookcrossing Meetup Group Message Board › Ideas for Book Discussions

Ideas for Book Discussions

A former member
Post #: 82
This is an area for your suggestions for book discussions. Please include the title, author and description of each book that you suggest.

Selecting the Right Books for a Book Club
A good place to start might be a book you have already read and really enjoyed. The best books can be read over and over again, so why not share them with the rest of your group? Also take into account the tastes and interests of members. Is there a particular genre that people seem to like? Many book clubs adapt themes in which they exclusively read books of a given genre or subject matter. Books that have been well received by other readers and critics will likely make good choices, so best seller lists and book reviews make excellent resources for book clubs in search of titles. Another good place to look would be online book clubs, where past reading schedules and reviews of past books are often posted. Finally, don't rule out the classics as possible choices for your book club. Works that have survived the test of time usually make for great discussion, and since you're not reading them for a class, you'll end up enjoying them more than when you read them back in high school.

The success or failure of a book club can often be determined by the quality of books selected, so it is very important to put some thought into what you pick. With the right selection of books, your reading group will likely enjoy months of interesting discussion.

M. Diane R.
eicuthbertson
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 2
Hi,

I'd like to suggest "Henderson's Spear" (2001) by Ronald Wright. He is a Canadian author.

Here is a link to a short description & a couple of short reviews on Powell's Books website

http://www.powells.co...­

and some reviews/excerpts on amazon.ca

http://www.amazon.ca/...­

and a brief bio of Ronald Wright

http://www.writersuni...­
A former member
Post #: 6
I have not read the following books, but I am quite interested in reading the following:

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

It is a classic book and most people know what it is about, but here is an excerpt from the wikipedia website:

Fahrenheit 451 (1953) is a dystopian fiction novel by Ray Bradbury. It is set in a world in which the reading of books is banned and critical thought is suppressed; the central character, Guy Montag, is employed as a "fireman" (which, in this case, means "book burner"). 451 degrees Fahrenheit (about 233°C) is stated as "the temperature at which book-paper catches fire, and burns ...".

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

I have not read this book either, but it has been around for a while, and I have heard very good things about it. A description from the wikipedia site:

The Poisonwood Bible is a 1998 novel by Barbara Kingsolver, which details a missionary family's life in the Congo beginning in the 1960s as experienced by the five women in the family. The family consists of Nathan Price, the Baptist missonary, and his wife, Orleanna, as well as their four daughters: Rachel, Leah, Adah, and Ruth May. The book is written with five narrative voices corresponding to the five female members of the Price family.

The novel focuses on how the tragedies of violence and hunger experienced by Africans are mostly caused by the foreign influences in the country. Kingsolver expands the novel into more than a historical critique of the colonialization of Africa by creating parallels between the country of the Congo and situation of the Price family girls as they are abused by Nathan, who vehemently believes himself a vessel of the Christian God. He consistently symbolizes the exploitation by white men on Africa and, to some extent, the domination of anyone or anything too weak to fend for itself. The Poisonwood Bible offers perspective on the imbalance of power, resources, and justice that exists in the Congo and even the rest of the world.

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd

I've read her first book, The Secret Life of Bees, which I thought was excellent, so I am interested in reading her second book.

A description from the Chapters website:

From the author of the phenomenal bestseller The Secret Life of Bees. Winner of the 2005 Quill Award for Fiction!Inside the abbey of a Benedictine monastery on tiny Egret Island, just off the coast of South Carolina, resides a beautiful and mysterious chair ornately carved with mermaids and dedicated to a saint who, legend claims, was a mermaid before her conversion. Jessie Sullivan¿s conventional life has been ¿molded to the smallest space possible.¿ So when she is called home to cope with her mother¿s startling and enigmatic act of violence, Jessie finds herself relieved to be apart from her husband, Hugh. Jessie loves Hugh, but on Egret Island¿amid the gorgeous marshlands and tidal creeks¿she becomes drawn to Brother Thomas, a monk who is mere months from taking his final vows. What transpires will unlock the roots of her mother¿s tormented past, but most of all, as Jessie grapples with the tension of desire and the struggle to deny it, she will find a freedom that feels overwhelmingly right.What inspires the yearning for a soul mate? Few writers have explored, as Kidd does, the lush, unknown region of the feminine soul where the thin line between the spiritual and the erotic exists. The Mermaid Chair is a vividly imagined novel about the passions of the spirit and the ecstasies of the body; one that illuminates a woman¿s self-awakening with the brilliance and power that only a writer of Kidd¿s ability could conjure.
A former member
Post #: 26
I second the suggestion Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.
I have always wanted to read it and I like the theme. I don't have a copy but I can probably get one from the library.
Can we make the meetup after 3 pm this time pleeeeeeeease :)
A former member
Post #: 29
Additional suggestion We by Eugene Zamiatin, Russian utopian/dystopian novel predating Well's 1984.
Was said to have influenced Wells and was never published in Russia for many years because of censorship.
Lorraine
rrainy
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
I would like to suggest 2 books -
ATONEMENT Ian McEwan starts in England in the summer of 1934. "..thirteen-year-old Briony Tallis sees her sister Cecilia...plunge into the fountain in the garden of their country house. Watching her is Robbie Turner, her childhood friend... By the end of that day the lives of all three will have been changed forever." I read Atonement several years ago, the structure of the plot and the writer's style have stayed with me.
The second book is entitled THE REVOLUTION WILL BE ACCESSORIZED. It is a compilation of articles written for BlackBook Magazine. Most are commentaries on popular culture that really hit the mark. And it isn't as silly and flippant as the cover suggests.
A former member
Post #: 98
Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Life of Pi is at once a realistic, rousing adventure and a meta-tale of survival that explores the redemptive power of storytelling and the transformative nature of fiction. It's a story, as one character puts it, to make you believe in God.
A former member
Post #: 12
I've now read the books that I posted about, but here's a new suggestion:

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith. It's been around for a while, and I've heard it's very good.

Also, are people interested in reading classics? Or more modern classics?
Helen M.
helenmartin4
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 11
It would be fun to do some classics. I have "The Jane Austen Book Club" just now and am going to read each of Austen's books, then the relevant chapter in the book (again) to get all the references. A Tree Groes in Brooklyn has been around a long time, but I for one haven't read it and probably should.
A former member
Post #: 14
I read The Jane Austen Book Club for my other book club, and did not enjoy it at all (If I remember correctly, no one really liked it). I have not read any Jane Austen books though. Eventually I will try reading one. However, I do have a coppy of Emma, which I bought for 55 cents at the library sale last year, so I would probably start with that one.

I am interested in reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.