New Tech (Boulder Denver Fort Collins) Message Board NonProfit Support Area › Tools and Tips for all the Nonprofits

Tools and Tips for all the Nonprofits

Peter L.
focusaurus
Boulder, CO
Post #: 2
Tools and Tips for BDNT Non-profits

I thought I'd start a public Google Wave to collect some general suggestions we might have that are probably applicable to many of the great non-profits that presented at the meetup. Maybe after we have some meaningful info, we can publish it out on the mailing list and/or a blog post.

One thing I noticed is that many of these groups have common initial challenges around basics like overall project management and organization, tracking initiatives, tracking volunteers, collaborating on projects, group communication, etc.

Could we perhaps come up with some basic recommendations?

To get things started, I thinking along the lines of:

General Communication Tools:

• Can we recommend some good free online mailing list managers
  • Internal lists within the organization and external lists for their community
  • Tools to help with social networking
  • Wikis, Wave, BaseCamp type collaboration

Frameworks or other solutions for their own web sites:

• Event publishing/tracking (Evite, Eventbrite, etc)
  • Discussion forums (phpbb, stackoverflow, etc)
  • blogging (wordpress, etc)
  • taking offline data sets online (Rails, Django, etc)

So basically my goal for this wave is to

1. Come up with a good list of tools available for these groups to use (please let's not debate endlessly)

2. Publish a nice, coherent article the leaders can read and understand "Oh, if I want to start doing a blog, I have these 3 good options"...

I propose we track this as a Google Wave, which will be at least more Web 2.0-ish if not more effective than this discussion forum. This may fail and people might just all reply in the discussion forum, but let's give it a try.

Don't reply to this discussion forum. Instead, join the Google Wave and comment away.