align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Berkeley Board Gamers Message Board Berkeley Board Gamers Discussion Forum › Fantasy Flight Games LCGs

Fantasy Flight Games LCGs

Brian V.
user 38814012
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 1
Hi I'm new to the group and a novice to games in general outside of Star Wars CCG and a few games of Catan (German version). I recently bought a few FFG LCGs and am looking for players. I have Star Wars LCG (I've played a few games and really like it, I'm also a huge SW geek anyway), Netrunner LCG (looks pretty complicated, but really like the asymmetrical playstyle and its setting, also I think this is one of the more popular games I've seen people on here mention), and A Game of Thrones LCG (seems like most people on here play the board game, but I loved the books and wouldn't mind playing that either). Anyone interested in playing these games?

Brian
David F
user 6964091
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 213
Netrunner isn't very complicated; you just need somebody to teach it to you, since the rulebook is written with jargon. I've had people up and running within 5 minutes, with occasional card questions. As long as you're fine with keeping track of card text (and it's less than in other customizable card games), you're fine. Feel free to request it on Meetup if you're going to an event.

LCGs, as long as you're willing and able to teach it, you'll find people on here willing to give it a try. The only LCGs that have shown up here are Netrunner and A Game of Thrones (some of us gave up on it, but not all of us have tried it yet).
Kweku
user 13709458
Oakland, CA
Post #: 45
Welcome to the group!

I've played (and own) Android Netrunner, A Game of Thrones LCG, and Warhammer Invasion. I've enjoyed all the LCGs I've tried so far, but find Android Netrunner in particular to not only be a really, really strong game, but the LCG with the most players, and so it gets my attention and investment (with expansions).

I personally would play/learn any of the LCGs with you if it came up at a game night we both attended. IMO though most members of BBG are more oriented towards group games, and so getting strictly 2 player games played on a regular game night can sometimes be more challenging (depends who's there and who's available) unless you catch someone during some downtime or push it through. But there are still players who would happily play an LCG with you, myself included, and when you can't find anyone to play with you can at least experience some group games, too.

Android Netrunner player base may pick up more soon actually since there have been a few tournaments hosted in Berkeley recently (at Games of Berkeley, they get posted on this meetup group). Learn to play the game in the meantime, and if you enjoy the game you should definitely check those out since that's a GREAT way to meet other players. The tournaments usually have people of all skill and experience levels, and so are a great way to either compete, just play, or even learn the game. I know from the last tournament that a lot of people I talked to expressed that they were interested in finding more opponents. I think the expectation right now is that these will be happening monthlyish for the near future, with the one taking place just last Sunday.

That last tournament had over 20 entrants, plus a few people who came just to learn or play casually!
Brian V.
user 38814012
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 2
@Kweku Too bad I missed you yesterday, but fortunately Paul was willing to play a few Star Wars LCG games with me which were a lot of fun and then Joel and I read over the Netrunner rule book and had a pretty exciting game of that. I have yet to play AGoT, but the two FFG LCGs I've played so far were a lot of fun. Hanging out with the group and getting in a game of resistance while I waited for someone to play the LCGs was a good experience, I'll be attending whenever I can get the chance. Hopefully I can find a few more people that are interested in these games.