B'more on Rails Message Board › Interest in a monthly hackfest and study group?

Interest in a monthly hackfest and study group?

nicholas a. e.
nick_evans
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 6
I've been wondering for a while now if there is enough interest to ramp up the B'more on Rails group to be more than just monthly presentation-format meetings (currently meeting every 2nd Tue.). Specifically, I wonder if people would be interested in a monthly hackfest & study group meeting (perhaps every 4th Tue.). I know that I am.
George A.
user 3366585
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 9
I'm definitely interested, though Tuesdays have been proving difficult for my current family schedule.

/George Anderson
sinclair b.
user 3680251
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 2
+1

sinclair
John T.
jtrupiano
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2
I would also be interested. We should brainstorm ideas on Tuesday for what we can build in two weeks.

-John
A former member
Post #: 1
Still pursuing this, Nick? I'm interested as well...
John T.
jtrupiano
San Diego, CA
Post #: 4
fyi, it's still in the early stages, but we at SmartLogic have been organizing Hackurday. We meet once a month on the first Saturday and hack all day with the goal of producing one (or more) app that can stand on its own.

We want to run it a few more times privately so that we can get the hang of it, but it's fully our intention to open this up to the community. One of our first projects will be to actually create a site to manage Hackurday itself. Members would be required to submit their ideas ahead of time, and we'd want an idea to have matured to the point where 3-4 people could all work on it at the same time at a relatively high efficiency before embarking on it. So there's a bit of planning protocol that needs to be worked out on our end here. The last thing we want is for many people to gather, and to not really have solid goals established up front, leading to a lot of wasted time. In other words, we want to produce, and that requires planning.

Our thought is that many projects can be worked on at the same time....in reality, can 3 or 4 more people all collaborate on the same software project when you're only going to work for a 6-8 hour period?

I'll definitely follow up in a month or two when we've got a couple more of these under our belt. We've been thinking that once a month is too infrequent.....maybe every 3 weeks would work better.
Steven H.
stevenhaddox
Frederick, MD
Post #: 1
Definitely interested in a monthly hacknight! Would be awesome to get out and hack on some code with other Rails developers since I can't use Rails on a daily basis anymore :(