addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Atlanta Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › South Atlanta -- ALL DAY GAMING!

South Atlanta -- ALL DAY GAMING!

Floyd S.
user 7115219
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 1
We're gonna do it again! Only the date has changed...tomorrow 23 Jan.

Apologies for the late notice. I thought I had already updated this post!

Gamers,

Finally, something on the south side! This is an all day session so worth anyone's drive. Details follow and response to this thread will help me in my planning. Details follow!

ALL DAY GAMING!

Come one; come all to this great gaming opportunity. But first, here’s the really important information:

Date: 23 Jan 2010
Time: 1100 – 2300
Cost: Only $5/person (to help offset facility costs) and potluck contribution (more below)
7815 Senoia Road
Fairburn, GA 30213
(678) 782-4900
Link: http://maps.google.co...­

And now, the rest of the story….

WHY? This event was born out of the idea to bring gamers together and provide an excellent gaming opportunity on the south side of Atlanta. It seems most of the gaming is taking place in shorter sessions on the north side. An all day session raises the commute-to-gaming ratio and hopefully makes the drive worthwhile for all.

WHAT? This is not a formal event or convention, simply open gaming for all. So don’t expect puzzles, contests, prize tables or drawings. Our goal is just a great day of relaxation and fellowship with friends enjoying some terrific board and card games. If your tastes run more to collectible card games (CCGs) like Magic: The Gathering, or miniature games like Warhammer, this event isn’t really for you. On the other hand, if you are a fan of designer board and card games that play in 30 minutes to 2 hours, this is the place to be December 5th!

WHEN? Uh, January 23rd. Doors are open from 1100 – 2300 and gamers can come and go as they like, but we do ask that players don’t start a game that would wrap too much past 2300 hours.

WHERE? Unless we get such an overwhelming response (not a bad thing) that they can’t hold us all, we should have a very comfortable setting at the Country Inn and Suites (info above). However, Game Day will be alcohol and smoke free.

WHO? If you are reading this, you are invited and you may bring your other gamer friends as well. This is also a great opportunity to introduce your non-gamer friends to our hobby.

HOW MUCH? We are asking a $5/person cover charge to help defray facility charges. In addition, participants are encouraged to contribute to a potluck for their fellow gamers. No need to register in advance, you can pay at the door. However, a note to let me know you are planning to attend will help me in my planning.

POTLUCK – Highly encouraged but not required, consider contributing some munchies to stave off the starvation during our marathon gaming session. Bring a crock pot of your special chili, a casserole of the secret family recipe, a veggie platter, a box of Wal-Mart cookies, or a few bags of chips. Homemade or store-bought, it doesn’t really matter. Directions to nearby eating establishments will be available, but why waste valuable gaming time when you can share with friends?

An event like this can’t succeed if avid gamers don’t bring their games to share with others. Those doing so should put something in each game that identifies it as yours. Attendees will be given small placards to identify their stack of games. When playing someone else’s game, please be respectful and treat them with even greater care than you would your own. Double check that all components are returned to the box and the box is returned to its proper place.

NOW WHAT? Mark your calendar for January 23rd, start binning up the games you want to bring, and dust off that old recipe of grandma’s you want to delight or punish us with. I look forward to meeting many of you and making new gamer friends in the Atlanta area.

THEN WHAT? If response is good, this can easily become a recurring event. Ultimately I’d like to have a monthly Game Day but that depends on you. (I have February and March dates reserved just in case…)

Floyd Sherrod

(I am an Atlanta transplant and have been trying to get my act together and organize a regular gaming event on the south side of town for the year I've been here. The Loop is great but too much of a commute for as little gaming as I can get it a regular session. And most of the other gaming groups and cliques I've heard about seem to center on the north side of town. I'm hoping this will cater to all area gamers and not just those on the south side.)
Floyd S.
user 7115219
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 4
Less than a week away. Don't miss it!
Colleen M.
user 10369832
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 1
I have to work an overtime job from 12-4 PM, will I be able to join in after that? I really wanted to be there for the whole day!