The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Recently Played Games

Recently Played Games

Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,443
Should we start a sticky thread? Rodney's Ratings?

Maybe we should get all the people who play with Rodney each week to submit their rating with Rodney.
Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 684
I have a simple ranking system. Games are awarded a rating of either "I dig it" or "this sucks".
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,795
Criminey, you are going to score 1500 games on a 100 pt ten category rating system? That will fill up those free hours :)

Well I need something to do with all this free time I have on my hands <g>.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,017
I have a simple ranking system. Games are awarded a rating of either "I dig it" or "this sucks".

Using Mike's rating system, I'll rate the games I played at BACSIM this past Saturday:

Last Will : I dig it
Cubes of Waterdeep: this sucks
Isaac
IsaacScharp
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 677
Cubes of Waterdeep does not suck. There needs to be a third category of Blah. Sort of a you can talk me into playing it, but I don't really want to category.
Joe
GoSabres
Eden, NY
Post #: 1,742
Rodney, I was going to say, rate your favorite game so we can see what a 1000 looks like but I have no idea what it is.

Hermagor?
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,796
I'm not sure what my top game currently is. There are so many good ones. I do enjoy Hermagor and really need to get that one to the table again sometime soon.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,798
LAST WILL
Published in 2011, designed by Valdimir Suchy

ACCESSIBILITY
A medium-heavy weight game for 2-5 players ages 12 & up that should take 60 min. with experienced players but closer to 90 min. with first time players. What pushes this game towards the heavier side is the learning curve of the cards used in the game. Because of this its probably not a game you'll want to attempt to play with non gamers.  Rating 60 (it's not going to be for everyone)

THEME
The theme is strong and honestly it's what drew me to purchase this game. In Last Will our uncle has left each living family member with a sum of money. The player that is able to spend this money the quickest and enjoy the pleasure of life that money can bring will inherit the rest of his fortune. So instead of earning money the goal is just the opposite, spend it as quickly as possible. 

The theme integrates well during the play of the game and because of this I rate it 90.

COMPONENTS
Two double sided main boards, five player boards, 140 cards, (properties, events, companions, helpers, wilds) several wooden tokens, and cardboard money chits make up the components of this game. The boards themselves are rather drab, but overall the components are ok and functional. Rating 70. 

ART/GRAPHIC DESIGN
The key component to this game are the cards, it's what drives the game. The artwork on the cards is done in a Victorian style and looks nice. The iconography on the cards is crucial to understanding this game. In most cases the graphic design on the cards is well done, however new players to this game will be forced to refer to the manual or player aid when deciphering certain cards. The cards themselves, and understanding how they work in conjunction with one another is what slightly bumps this game into the heavier category. There is a learning curve for first time players that must be taken into consideration. Rating 65.

RULES
The rulebook is 12 pages long and does an adequate job of explaining gameplay. Plenty of colorful examples are provided that help make the game easier to both learn and teach. The organization of the rules isn't without flaws. Finding specific rules in regards to certain cards does require some searching. A better layout or a separate section or FAQ in regards to cards would've been preferred. Rating 75.

MECHANICS
Last Will utilizes both worker placement and hand management as its main mechanics, with the emphasis being on the hand management. Both mechanics work well together for this style of game. Rating 80.

GAME PLAY
Setup is determined by the number of players participating. The boards are double sided and scales well given the number of opponents. The game will play over at most seven rounds, but could end early should a player go bankrupt sooner. 

Each round consists of five phases. Setup, planning, errands, actions, and an end of round phase. Setup simply involves seeding the board with a number of cards. During the planning phase players will take turns planning their actions for the round. The errand phase involves players taking turns placing there errand boys to take cards, adjust the property market, adding board extensions, or going to the opera. During the action phase players will play and or activate cards in order to spend money. While the end phase involves cleaning up and resetting the boards for another round. 

The actual mechanics of what you are doing is pretty straightforward. But the decisions you make are not always that simple. Turn order can be important if you really want to grab a card before someone else. What makes this decision tough is the way the planning phase works. Their are several spaces to select from during the planning phase, but you can only pick one. This one decision determines four things. 1 how many cards you get, 2 how many errands you can carry out in the next phase , 3 the number of actions you get, and 4 player order. 

If you really want to go first you select the space furthest left. However this space doesn't give you as many other benefits as selecting a space further to the right. Space one may one get you one card and one action, where going later in the turn order may get you six cards or four actions. You're forced to weigh the benefits of getting lots of actions or cards versus turn order.

I like the decision making process required in this game. Rating 85.

UNIQUENESS
What makes this game unique is the backwards thinking that is required in order to win or do well. I've never played a game where your goal is to spend and get rid of everything you own. Most euros have you collecting, earning, and building. This unique but simple twist can throw you for a loop at first and takes a bit of getting used too. Rating 85.

REPLAYABILTY
Because there are many different cards in the game you're never sure what your going to begin with. This probably will lead you down a different path from game to game thus forcing you to try different strategies. 

Also your starting money can range anywhere from 70 to 130 million per game. This may also affect your decisions from game to game leading to additional  replayabilty. 

An mini expansion is also available that changes the way player order is determined which could make this game even more interesting.  Rating 70.

GAME EXPERIENCE
The key to doing well in Last Will is understanding how cards can work in conjunction with one another in order to help you spend money while using as few actions as possible. As with many games of this style, you have many things you want to do but not enough actions to accomplish everything you like. 

I've enjoyed all my playings of this game. Trying to get cards that work together and hopefully getting the ones you want before someone else takes them makes the planning stage more critical than first meets the eye. Sometimes an important card to you may not be important to the others and thus you can afford to go later in turn order to take advantage of getting more card or actions. That is until someone takes that card you thought nobody wanted.

Understanding what might work best will only come with repeated plays. I've played this game with 9 different people and everyone of them seemed to enjoy the game with most players wanting to play it again. Rating 92.

ACCESSIBILITY-60
THEME-90
COMPONENTS-70
ART/GRAPHIC DESIGN-65
RULES-70
MECHANICS-80
GAME PLAY-85
UNIQUENESS-85
REPLAYABILTY-70
GAME EXPERIENCE-92

Overall Rating 76.7
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,023
You should really submit your review to the geek, Rodney. It is better written than 90% of what gets put up there.

I also agree with almost everything you said about Last Will, and I would really like to play it again now that I have a better understanding of how the game works.
A former member
Post #: 83
Criminey, you are going to score 1500 games on a 100 pt ten category rating system? That will fill up those free hours :)

Well I need something to do with all this free time I have on my hands <g>.

Free Time,, what's that?.

The part I'm confused on is how can you rate a game of "I like it or hate it" ( or Blah ) if you only play it once or twice?. I would rather play a game until I was kind of sick of it and then move on. but I guess with the amount and volume of games you guys own that is hard to do ( if you want to play them all ).