The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › May 24th games

May 24th games

Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 73
Update: I played the "Plus" expansion with my other gaming group last night (Sunday) and again it was recieved with mixed reviews. My personal take on it was that it really didnt seem to add much to the game. It made buying the 3rd bean field a much more viable strategy, but all in all I got a "take it or leave it" feeling from my other group. Of course that could just be a reaction to "How dare they touch THE BEAN GAME!?!?" Had I been more patient and waited to play High Bohn plus before ordering it, I probably would have taken it off my order. As it stands, I doubt it will get much play time (even tho I liked High Bohn a lot).

As for the games on Tuesday, I would be willing to teach Around The World to 2 groups. I will need a few minutes with the rule book as a refresher (like what the setup and such is). I dont know what we will be playing as far as other games go, but I would really like to fit in some Memoir 44 time with someone, if possible.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 61
So for game one we're going to have 6 people and games 2 and 3 we're going to have 7. Here are two ideas for the game breakdown.

Scenario 1 - A wave of gaming
=====================

game 1 (6 peeps) - light and fun
--------------------------------------­---
Franks Zoo or Bohnanza

game 2 (7 peeps) - burner
---------------------------------
Citadels

game 3a (3 - 4 peeps) - not sure how much burning
--------------------------------------­---------------------------
Chinatown

game 3b (3 - 4 peeps) - medium burner I'm told
--------------------------------------­----------------------
Around the World

Scenario 2 - More variety, more splits
==========================

game 1 (6 peeps)
----------------------
Citadels (could be exchanged for light card game like Frank's or Bohnanza)

game 2a
-----------
Chinatown

game 2b
-----------
Around the World

game 3a and game 3b
----------------------------
We could do more of the same from game 2 or try a coulple new ones. I've been looking to try try Streetcar, Tikal or Hex Hex. Anyone else have some requests for this one.

Any thoughts?

Don
A former member
Post #: 31
Those look like good line ups, Don. I'm looking forward to it already.

In retrospect, it was a little unfair of me to volunteer Doug to teach Around the World twice (a game he only played once). Here's a solution. I would be more than happy to play Memoir 44 with Doug, and I could teach Around the World to the group while he engages in the massive undertaking that is the game's setup. Or, if Joel would rather play Memoir 44, he and Doug can play that, and I'll play Around the World with everyone else. See how it all just works out perfect? :-D

Anyway, if we go with that, the Frank's Zoo/Bohnanza choice and Citadels (your first option), we could save Chinatown for another week. Or we could split and play Chinatown and something else and then choose just one of Franks Zoo/Bohnanza/Citadels. If we do that, I promise to bring Chinatown another time so everyone who wants to try it gets a chance to play.

Either way, sounds like you guys may have played Bohnanza a lot recently (Wed, Fri _and_ Sun??), so maybe you want a break from it.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 74
Thats quite alright Scott, when I have time to prepare I dont mind teaching a game at all. Matter of fact I printed up a 1 page cheat sheet from BGG yesterday and feel confident I could teach Around the World with no problems at all. Besides, I believe I volunteered 1st anyways. smile

Lets try the second scenerio so we can get Chinatown in there. I know April was looking forward to it also. I'd like to put forth the following suggestion:

Game 1
======
Frank's Zoo (Yes I am a bit tired of Bohnanza)

Game 2a
======
Around the World in 80 Days (I'll teach)

Game 2b
======
Chinatown (Scott Teaches)

Game 3a
======
Steetcar (April Teaches)

Game 3b
======
Memoir 44 (Me and Scott or Joel)

This way Scott teaches 2, and April and I each teach 1. Plus it gives April a chance to bring one of her games.

Thoughts???
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 62
I'm good with this. We just need to make sure that April is on board.
April
arielmt
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 25
Yikes, I guess I'm off to brush up on Street Car! Don't think there's any player aids on BGG because it's listed there as Linie1. That's okay though, I'm pretty sure I'll remember it quickly enough.