The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › July 26th Games

July 26th Games

Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 158
I'd like to limit the number of people for Thursday to 4 or 5 so we dont have a run away game again. Right now we have 3 other definates --Isaac, Bobbie, Joel-- and April on the Bubble. If more people wanna show up, we might be better off doing Betrayal.

As for tonight it sounds like we'll have plenty of games comming to the party (especially with only 6 people) so the lack of a finite gaming plan doesnt concern me--Hell thats how we did it for a coupla months anyways.

See you all in a couple of hours.
NickAnner
NickAnner
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 7
Sorry folks, i didn't make it up because i'm really busy getting ready for my trip. I won't be around next week either as i'll be out of town.
Laurie
LaurieW917
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 35
Hmmm... Thursday is tempting. It depends on whether or not I find someone to go to Lafayette Square with me to hear Lowest of the Low. If not, then I could come for Arkham Horror.

I know about 5 people that are going to be at the Square, and I would be there to hear Lowest of the Low if I didn't have class. It's a tough choice for you, April...good band or good games! tongue
A former member
Post #: 73
So, what did you guys play? Enquiring minds want to know.

I'm really into trying Arkham Horror, but I understand you want to try find the game's sweet spot. Anyone have any interest in a few 2-player games on Thursday?
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 160
Scott, come on down. My assumption was that you wouldnt be able to make it on Thursday. We can run a 6 player again, I'll jus chose a harder Great Old One (the one that requires 8 friggin clue tokens to close a gate comes to mind). biggrin

As to what we played, 1st off we played some Hex Hex while waiting to see if Nick was gonna arrive. Once again, Isaac proved to be an exceptionally vicious Hex Hex player.

After playing one full round of Hex Hex and Isaac creaming the rest of us by a huge margin, we went on to Illuminati. I have mixed feelings about Illuminati. Its not a hard game, but I just couldnt seem to get my mind wrapped around it. There is a lot of math involved. I managed to squeek out the win (even after Bobbie tried to completely hobble my illuminati). However, I cant really take full credit for the win as both April and Isaac gave me many suggestions. I'd like to try it again, but this time I would like to read the rules 1st so I get a better understanding of all the games mechanics.

After Illuminati we played a round of Bang! Once again I Loved it. Bang! is one of my all time favorite games. April hated it (again) but she doesnt count. Joel was the Sheriff and I was his deputy. Right off the bat Isaac and I got into shooting match After many rounds of trading gunshots I believe Isaac was finished off by a gatling gun shot fired by Bobbie. Isaac was the renegade, so that just left April and Bobbie as the outlaws. By this time we had the rolls sorted out so Joel and I ganged up on April and took her out fairly quickly. We thought we had the win all wrapped up but then suddenly Bobbie looked like she might single handedly take out the sheriff! A stick of dynamite went off in Joel's lap, Bobbie built a fortress of barrels, I kept getting thrown in Jail. It came down to the wire but in the end Bobbie succumed to a couple of Duel cards. The good guys won the day!

I had to leave after the Bang! game (it was 9:30) but the others were going to stay and play a round of Frank's Zoo. One of them will have to fill you in on how it went. It was a small gathering, but it was a lot of fun complete with a lot of laughing (especially when Bobbie was making her sudden 1-person comeback).
Joel
cuthbert15
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 38
Scott, I am definitely down for some two player games. As far as Arkham is concerned, I just enjoy the game play and the interaction amongst this group, but it is also good to find out the best mechanic. How is that for strattling the fence. It is a good political answer.
A former member
Post #: 74
I can't make it tonight after all. Thanks for your willingness to squeeze me in Doug, and have a great time. Joel, we'll get some 2ers in soon.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 164
Sorry Scott... crying

Tell ya what, you pick a night and we'll play some Arkham. Its a fun game and one I think you would enjoy a lot. I dont think it will be terribly difficult to wrangle up another player or 2 on any given evening.
April
arielmt
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 57
I wish I'd come and played with you all last night, I'm sure I would have had a better time. I hadn't been to Thursday in the Square in a number of years, and I'll probably never go again. Lowest of the Low was good, when I could hear them. But, wall-to-wall drunk people, mostly kids, is not my idea of a good time.

I'd definitely like another crack at Arkham Horror on an off night again, whenever you want to do that again. I am available nearly every evening for a while these days as Storm is in PA during the week to care for her mom. So, two evenings a week is definitely doable for me, at least for the next few weeks. I will even offer up my house as an alternate location, as long as there's no more than six. (Four is ideal.)

As for two-player games, count me in! I'd really like puzzle through two I recently got with someone who has a little more patience than Storm. They look fun and she'd be less frustrated if I knew them well enough to teach her more easily. So, if anyone would like to try Druidenwalzer or Dracula, let me know.

Bobbie's near come-back at the end of Bang! was entertaining and slightly lessened my dislike. I just haven't really enjoyed the game either time I've played. I was an outlaw both times and had poor card draws. Plus, I'm not a fan of either western or military themes, and am on the fence about pirate themes. Arrr! I guess that makes me a girl. shock