This is a group of young people getting together to talk about books in a relaxed informal setting. We will meet about every three weeks or so and together we choose what our next book will be. Our usual meeting spot is an independent book store in Huntington called Book Revue - we meet upstairs in the mezzanine area where there are some tables and chairs laid out. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.
When choosing books, here are some of the books we strive for,
1. Books that are in the library
2. Books that are under 400 pages
3. Books that push the envelope
4. Books that have a map on the first page are usually the best books.
Some types of books I think we should try to avoid if possible,
2. Memoirs and biographies/autobiographies
3. Books about people's families/family dramas
4. Oprah's book club books, basically that little sticker means 'stay away!' in my opinion. Here's the complete list if you're interested.
5. Broccoli classics, by which I mean that type of "Read it because it's good for you, not because it's interesting or relevant" classic.
|Page title||Most recent update||Last edited by|
|About Read or Die Under 35 Book Club||February 14, 2012 12:39 PM||Kyle Lafferty|