The Bookies Message Board › Novels of the Brontes

Novels of the Brontes

Randall
fred_astaire
Maryville, TN
Post #: 11
Readers who become acquainted with the novels of the Bronte sisters - Anne, Charlotte, and Emily find themselves captivated by their writing, literary genius, and short though extraordinary lives. Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre" became a best seller soon after its release. Emily's "Wuthering Heights" didn't receive it's due recognition until many years after her death. Hollywood's recent fascination with vampires oddly sparked an interest in Emily's dark and violent character Heathcliff, and a spike in sales of "Wuthering Heights": "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same. He is more myself than I am!...I am Heathcliff."

Charlotte's "Jane Eyre" and Emily's "Wuthering Heights" consistently appear on best 100 novels lists. Other novels by the Bronte sisters of Haworth include: "Shirley", "Villette", and "The Professor" by Charlotte; "Agnes Grey" and "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" by Anne Bronte.

The Bronte Society-Knoxville Area Chapter meets monthly to discuss a topic. Charlotte Bronte's unfinished novel fragment "Emma Brown" completed by novelist Clare Boylan discussed at October's meeting. November's discussion topic is "Political Landscape-Local and National: Reform Bill of 1831 and the Brontes". The Bronte family was politically split with Charlotte and her brother Branwell leaning Tory conservative, and Papa (Patrick), Anne, and perhaps Emily inclined toward a more liberal bent.

For more information about the Brontes and the Bronte Society visit: www.bronte.org.uk