Solving Access Control in the Cloud - from WIF to ACS
Join us to hear featured speaker Brock Allen (@BrockLAllen) from DevelopMentor dig into Access Control in the Cloud starting with WIF, ending with ACS, and including lots along the way (such as Claims).
Details of Brock's talk are now included below! Thank you to our sponsors (Tremolo Security, DevelopMentor, and Microsoft NERD) who are listed below the meeting topics.
- 6:00-6:15 Welcome, have some pizza, socialize
- 6:15-6:20 Grab a seat and intro tonight's speaker
- 6:20-8:20 Featured Speaker Brock Allen from DevelopMentor speaks on (more detailed description available down below)
- Part 1: Intro to Claims-based Identity & the Windows Identity Foundation
- Part 2: Outsourcing Applications & Federation: Windows Azure & the Azure Access Control Service
- 8:20-8:30 Wrap-up, announcements, give-aways (with an extra special giveaway donated by DevelopMentor)
- 8:30-?:?? Cold drink at local watering hole
Session 1: Intro to Claims-based Identity & the Windows Identity Foundation (WIF)
Claims-based identity is the new and preferred way to model security in distributed applications. The Windows Identity Foundation (WIF) is Microsoft's update to the traditional .NET security system to integrate claims into ASP.NET and WCF. Windows Identity Foundation introduces important concepts like conversion of security tokens and credentials to claims, claims transformation and claims-based authorization. In this session you will learn the basics of the WIF programming model and how WIF integrates into existing .NET code.
Session 2: Outsourcing Applications & Federation: Windows Azure & the Azure
Access Control Service (ACS)
Identity federation and external authentication are enablers for many cloud based application scenarios. The Windows Azure Service Platform and Windows Azure in particular allows hosting federated applications in an easy and secure way. Furthermore the Azure Access Control Service provides an easy interface to federate with a multitude of identities and protocols like WS-Federation, WS-Trust, OpenID and OAuth. This gives you federation gateway services in the cloud without you having to deal with uptime and scalability.
Tremolo Security is sponsoring this meeting. Thank you Tremolo for the pizza!!
DevelopMentor is sponsoring this meeting. Thank you DevelopMentor for the awesome door prize!
And of course Microsoft NERD sponsors us EVERY month. Thank you for providing great meeting space!
[Location: Sampson & Paul with capacity 75]