Boston PHP Message Board › Week 1: jQuery jAM, Season 2

Week 1: jQuery jAM, Season 2

Gene Babon
babong
Boston, MA

Welcome to jQuery jAM, Season 2.  Let's begin!

Our group consists of 125 participants ("jAMmers") interested in learning jQuery Mobile.  Twelve jAMmers have reported to the starting line and have posted an Introduction.  If you have not yet purchased your book, please do so now by accessing the Boston PHP BookstoreSams Teach Yourself jQuery Mobile in 24 Hours is available in two formats.  Once you receive your book, post an Introduction.

We are honored to be joined by Phil Dutson, author of Sams Teach Yourself jQuery Mobile in 24 Hours.  If we run into issues related to the material presented in the book, we can call on Phil.  Most of the time, however, we should be able to help each other.  So, please pitch in and extend a helping hand when one of your fellow jAMmers has a question.

If you are new to our virtual self-study group format, here are a few key points to keep in mind:

~ There are no appointments or meeting times.
~ Our target is to read one chapter per week.
~ Proceed at your own pace.
~ Post your work to your web space.
~ Post an update in the discussion area.

Discussion Area

This will be your most important link:

jQuery jAM, Season 2 -- Master Discussion List

Please review and bookmark this link for easy access.

Week 1

The goal for this week is to read Hour 1.  Once complete, confirm completion by posting an update in Hour 1: jQuery jAM, Season 2.  There is no work to post for Hour 1.  Exercises begin with Hour 2.  Before you begin Hour 2 you will need to obtain Web hosting.  Many jAMmers already have their own hosted web space.  If you do not, check out free web hosting at 000webhost.com.

This Week's Top jAMmers

Each week I will e-mail an update, typically on Sunday.  Here is an example of a weekly progress report that will be included in each update:

Hour 3 -- Gene Babon
Hour 2 -- Amanda
Hour 1 -- lisa
Hour 1 -- Denise
Hour 1 -- Mike Hickey
Hour 1 -- Tom Pettingill
Hour 1 -- Amy Kvistad

I have only opened up the first three hours (chapters) at this time.  These hours cover fundamentals of HTML, CSS, JavaScript and jQuery.  Hour 4 begins jQuery Mobile proper.  I will have more to say about how we should present our jQuery Mobile exercises in next week's update.

Finally, Meetup.com will likely generate an e-mail within the next 24 hours asking you to Rate This Meetup.  Please ignore.  Meetup.com is not set up for extended "meetups" like this one.  It assumes that a Meetup begins and ends on the same day.  I'll remind you to Rate this Meetup once we have reached a conclusion.

This first week is designed to be a gentle introduction.  Feel free to create a website to present your material.  If you are looking for a creative example, check out Amanda's website.

If you have any questions, please post them in the Introductions thread.

Let's start jAMmin'

Gene Babon
Chief Percolator