Brisbane Bike Rides
Brisbanes No.1 Cycling Group
Got a bike? Like coffee? Want to meet new people?
If you answered yes to 1, 2 or all 3 of the above questions, then BBR is the place for you!
Started on June 15 2012, BBR was formed to fill a need in the cycling community. You’ll be hard pressed not to make some great friends – taste great coffee and may accidently get fit while enjoying the Brisbane scenery.
BBR is a casual and very social cycling group that caters for riders at almost every level, from the novice to the iron-man wannabe. BBR rides take you in and around the Brisbane area and range from around 30km right up to 100+km.
We try to put together a team of riders for all the big charity events as well. Most of our rides are of social pace but we also have FAST, HARD or VERY HARD rides to push yourself if you are looking to get faster or fitter.
Our members fall across a large spectrum of riders, mountain bikes, road bikes, hybrid bikes, trikes and we are forever building our rides to suit the diversity within the group.
All of our rides finish with nourishment and caffeine (self funded of course).
Riding with BBR
The rides we offer in and around Brisbane all offer something to each and every BBR member. We have short concise ride descriptions including a route trace to help you decide whether or not the ride is for you. Each ride will include some vital stats as well. This should give you enough information to make an informed decision about the ride.
Distance: Tells you how far you will be riding
Time: Tells you how long the ride should take (this may vary from advertised time based on “unforeseen” events that may occur)
Fitness Level: gives you a basic idea about how fit you will need to be
Experience Level: this is how experienced on your bike you should be, will include information about what sort of terrain we are riding on and how busy we may expect the road to be.
Speed: Most BBR rides will be what we call “BBR Paced” this is around the 20km/hr overall for the ride. Some rides will be faster or slower depending on the group.
Overall Rating: This tells you what we rate the ride as, this will give you an idea of the sum of all the aspects of the ride.
Route Map: Here we include a Strava map trace so you can see where we will be trekking (please note you will need to be on Strava to see the route www.strava.com)
The event host will hold a short safety briefing before each ride for any new riders which will outline some of the key points about the ride as well as hand signals etc.
This includes the most important point, NO STOPPING ON THE BIKE PATH.
Please make sure you tune into this briefing and if you have any questions please let the event host know.
BBR does not charge for membership. We fundraise to meet the costs of running the group through the Meetup website.
Sometimes there will be a need to cancel or retime the rides we put up. We will try to give you as much notice as possible but there may be times where this will be done at the last minute. We tend to not ride in wet / rainy conditions. This is for your safety as not all members may be experienced in riding in these types of conditions.
Common sense and follow the road rules are the main ones. Respect your fellow BBR and have fun are a close second.
Rules and Regulations
Some stuff which has to be said:
1. Be sensible, yahoo’ing and mucking around will not be tolerated and you may be asked to leave the group.
2. You must be able to complete the ride, if you have any questions please get in touch with the event host through the website
3. You must obey the rules of the roads for where the ride is happening as a cyclist. Cycleways or roads it doesn’t matter, rules are rules. Please visit the QLD government website for more information.
4. NO SHOWS - Our rides have become so popular that waiting lists do fill up with members wanting to join in. In this case, members who NO SHOW to an event/ride will be removed from BBR.
5. Members expectations. It is expected that you attend at least 5 ride events every 3 months to maintain your membership. After 3 months you will be expected in assisting the running of the group in some sort of capacity. Either by organising social events, leading rides, tailing or responsible for knowing a specific ride/route to manage.
6. Riders Jersey - After 3 months, you are required to purchase a BBR riders jersey. Average cost of the jersey is between $60 - $90.
Some important notes to remember:
Riders take part as individuals
riders are responsible for their own actions and accept that cycling has inherent dangers and risks associated with it.
BBR does not carry public liability professional indemnity insurance
Brisbane Bike Rides is operated by a bunch of people who have come together that share a passion for cycling. They donate their time to plan rides and events for the enjoyment of all.
Please refer to our Assumption of risk statement page.
We recommend you visit the Bicycle Queensland (www.bg.org.au) for membership which offer Public liability and personal accident insurance as a membership benefit.
5. HAVE FUN, we all share a passion for cycling so any negative behaviour or I can’t do it attitude will not be tolerated by anyone.
New members must be approved by the Organizer
Content of this Meetup Group is only visible to members
Saturday, October 10, 2015 6:45 AM
Saturday, October 10, 2015 7:30 AM
Saturday, October 10, 2015 8:00 AM
Sunday, October 11, 2015 6:00 AM
Saturday, October 17, 2015 6:45 AM
Saturday, October 17, 2015 7:30 AM
Sunday, October 18, 2015 5:00 AM
Saturday, October 24, 2015 6:45 AM
Saturday, October 24, 2015 7:30 AM
Saturday, October 31, 2015 6:45 AM
Saturday, October 31, 2015 6:45 AM
Sunday, November 1, 2015 7:30 AM
Monday, November 2, 2015 7:00 PM
Saturday, November 7, 2015 6:45 AM
Saturday, November 7, 2015 7:30 AM
Sunday, November 8, 2015 5:15 AM
Sunday, November 8, 2015 6:00 AM
Saturday, November 14, 2015 6:30 AM
Saturday, November 14, 2015 6:45 AM
Saturday, November 14, 2015 7:30 AM