Brian F.
fending
Hamburg, NY
Post #: 3
First, let me just say that it's great to have some news year's resolutions kicking into effect. So what if it's April, right?

Separate from the PHP user group which I'm going to continue to attend with y'all, I'm starting a pretty specifically Drupal user group, and I could use your help getting the word out. I'm not anticipating that anybody in the PHP user group would want to meet, necessarily. (No poaching! No poaching! :)

With Drupal piloting and adoption becoming more prevalent, there are a lot of people new to the Drupal community who could use an audience or a little advice. Good advice is hard to come by on drupal.org or groups.drupal.org unless you're asking the right questions. That's kind of hard for noobs and half-dangerous types. (I'm only 25% dangerous, myself.) So we've identified a need and there are a bunch of folks between Rochester and Buffalo adapting the official online group(s) into a physical user group.

There are a few "personas" envisioned as being interested in this group, and I'm hoping you guys know some people that fall into one of the categories:

• users (non-admins that maintain content or somesuch),
  • site admins,
  • drupal themers / designers ("theming" actually involves some php, so this is an entry point for a lot of designer-come-developers), and
  • drupal devs (like custom module development, not installing...)

Here's the shotgun marketing approach:

But ultimately, everybody's going to gather around the fire at:

Please forward this post to anybody who fits the profile!!!/BF
synace
synace
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 29
Brian,

Can we make this a regular portion of the PHP meetup? I'll add you as assistant organizer & we can have Drupal presentations & discussion every meeting. The rate-limiting factor being content of course. I'd like to keep the critical mass instead of breaking it up too much. Let me know your thoughts and I'll add Drupal time to the monthly agenda. Thanks!
Brian F.
fending
Hamburg, NY
Post #: 4
That's really nice of you!

Since posting that way back on 16 Apr, WNYDUG has actually picked up steam and has full-time Drupallers from Rochester driving in, as well as new-to-Drupal "business users" from colleges looking to talk the talk. The very specific nature of that group (including a large non- and never-gonna-be-a-dev population) makes me think there's actually NOT a factioning of the PHP user group... virtually nobody I've spoken to who's going to come belongs to WNYPHP. These groups exist separately in most cities. In that case, I don't think I need any asst organizer cred but would be happy to spill a little Drupal.

But maybe I'm totally wrong - and that's even likely. Let's talk about it tonight. And I'll talk with the WNYDUG user population, with whom I can have a direct conversation next week instead of deciding things for them. Collaboration over planning - that's sort of the Drupal way. :)

Thanks!