addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Austin Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Meetup Group Message Board › Membership dues vs. voluntary contributions

Membership dues vs. voluntary contributions

David F
user 5332535
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
Question for the group - I pay $144 per year to be a meetup organizer. For the past two years, I have paid this cost out of pocket and sometimes when there is leftover money from a Zoom Room event, I use it to offset some of that expense. However, I have not covered the cost of meetup organizer fees yet. So far, I have been reluctant to put in place a "dues" structure because I didn't want a dues structure to keep people from joining. But I would like to solicit your input - should we put in place a membership fee ($5 per year) or should we rely on voluntary contributions from members? There would still be an event fee when we go somewhere that charges a rental (only Zoom Room charges a fee at this time). Please weigh in on this. Based upon feedback, I may send out a survey to all members and take a vote. Thanks. David
Lexa C.
user 40145922
Austin, TX
Post #: 10
I dont mind at all paying $5 per year or a voluntary donation - either way is fine. Thank you David for being the organizer! I really appreciate it! Chance does too! Lexa Crary.
Linda B.
user 2377811
Austin, TX
Post #: 7
We have not participated in any of the meet ups other than heart program. I have used the site for recommendations. I believe that all members should pay to belong because we all benefit in some way and one member should not have to bear the cost.
Megan
user 15768481
Austin, TX
Post #: 5
I don't think a small dues payment would keep people from joining ($5 or less seems very reasonable). You certainly shouldn't have to cover the whole fee!
Ann B.
user 65809492
Austin, TX
Post #: 6
I feel that a dues fee is a good idea. So, ready to get that going? This is a great site!
Jennifer
user 9419014
Austin, TX
I've been unable to attend the last few years but would be willing to pay a dues fee. You've gone above and beyond David, thank you.
A former member
I agree. I think everyone should pay dues. I've been a Meetup organizer before and I think that everyone should share in carrying that load, because $5 for each person is a lot easier than $144 for you alone, and if each person contributes, that might even allow for a small fund for some of the fancier Meetups. We love this group and would be happy to contribute!
Joy C. F.
user 12755812
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Thank you, David, for being our official meetup Organizer!
You should not have to pay the fee yourself and I feel sure that most of us would be more than willing to contribute! I am sorry that I did not realize this before or I would already have done so. Please let us know how and where we can pay a share of the cost voluntarily (Mail?). If not paid before maybe we can each plan to bring $5 or $10 to the next meetup that we attend, in an envelope with your and our name (for record purposes). I feel like we need to get your cost covered until a more formal membership fee can be set up. It has been so wonderful for Molly to be around other Cavaliers and the small annual fee is MORE THAN worth it!