addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Columbia Dogs-on-the-Go Message Board › female beagle mix looking for home

female beagle mix looking for home

Marsha E.
user 100881812
Laurel, MD
Post #: 2
I am a dog trainer and have clients who adopted a one year old female beagle mix with separation anxiety. They hired me to help, but feel that their situation, gone a lot and live in a small apartment...is not helping. She is very sweet and loving.....will make a wonderful mate for someone. and comes with training!
dale k.
user 9890990
Columbia, MD
Post #: 11
In order to spread the word I'd have to know in what ways she demonstrates her anxiety, and whether a mild sedative, like a benedryl even, might relax her. I am not able to incur more pet expenses but I'd keep my ears open.
Marsha E.
user 100881812
Laurel, MD
Post #: 3
she destroys doorways to get to owners. Breaks out of crate....I think it may be too late as the owners were taking her to shelter
dale k.
user 9890990
Columbia, MD
Post #: 12
Aw, she does need meds. I had a dog who did that when a friend of mine had him for a year, and the dog was put in the small bathroom. He'd dig at that door, and totally tear it apart, but in his 16 years of life, never displayed that behavior living with me. You tried.
Marsha E.
user 100881812
Laurel, MD
Post #: 4
meds may work for some dogs, but the ones I trained it has not worked on....only leadership and behavioral therapy.
Lisa S.
user 106109412
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 1
meds may work for some dogs, but the ones I trained it has not worked on....only leadership and behavioral therapy.
I am a trainer as well. I have a dog with SA. It wasn't bad until she had to have acl surgery. following her recovery it got so bad she jumped from a second floor window...twice. crates make SA far worse for many dogs. The most effective treatment plan for severe cases is a combination if both. Used the SA protocol, and working with Tufts Behavior Clinic, we settled on clonodine which was fairly experimental and still most vets don't know about it. It is for humans- high blood pressure- but reduces fight or flight impulses. Also helpful was her having access to outside thru a dog door.
All to say there are better medications. You just have to research and find a good behaviorist. Sounds like they reached their limit. Too bad - a dog like that usually doesn't make it.
Marsha E.
user 100881812
Laurel, MD
Post #: 5
I have yet to have a failure....some just take longer than others. I tend to get about 2-4 cases a week and all get solved, have only put three on meds in 8 years. Taken about 60 off meds! I really believe that sa is a relationship problem (leadership) not a physical condition to be solved by meds. with a few exceptions......
dale k.
user 9890990
Columbia, MD
Post #: 13
Great to hear your additional feedback. You do know your stuff, which is always important when a referral is possible. So sorry about that owner. Many folks take in dogs who should not, just like folks parenting who should not. But what can we do...
What area are you working from (or in, should I say)? I'm in Columbia. And I have a dog in mind who the owner is sending to a place for training while she goes away. I wonder what your prices are, and so I guess I'm asking for a website of information. The owner needs leadership and dog owning training. Her dog had bitten her in the past but is improved.

There is a fabulous dog care business here I highly recommend for most folks that a friend of mine runs. I have taken in friendly dogs for a few days of care at my place when they can get along with a tiny dog and very friendly cat. We might all network among us.
Marsha E.
user 100881812
Laurel, MD
Post #: 6
I'm a Bark Buster.....www.barkbusters.com
and we are very fortunate in this area with many good trainers, camps, kennels, and day cares. Which one do you like?
Lisa S.
user 106109412
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 2
For people seeking positive reinforcement, force-free training, I highly recommend looking at www.BaltimoreForceFree.com
A host of pet care services
That's great you've never had a failure. Sometimes there are severe cases that mean rehoming, meds for any number of reasons. I was fortunate to work closely with some great veterinary behaviorists while the training could occur. Otherwise she would be dead.