CFI Portland Meetup Group Message Board General › A Possible Approach to "Saving" Christians from Christianity

A Possible Approach to "Saving" Christians from Christianity

Gavin
Atheistic-ExJW
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 1,165
Like many other ex-Christians, I also feel much of my religious study was a waste of time, namely most of it which was made to conform to Watchtower ideology. My time spent preaching the Witnesses religion from door to door was also a waste of time and effort. It is partly for those reasons that I am using the relatively few accurate things I learned from the Witnesses, as well as speaking skills I learned from them, to now teach against the supernatural claims of the Bible. I am now an evangelist for non-theism. I also notice I am more effective in swaying people towards non-theism than I ever was in swaying people to the Jehovah's Witnesses religion, that is probably because the evidence is on the side of non-theism! What I have learned from studying the Bible and Apocrypha on my own, from reading deist and atheist literature (including on the internet), and from watching atheist videos, now makes me 100% certain that the biblical God (whether one means Yahweh Elohim or the trinity) is completely unreal. The spiritual claims of the Bible and many other claims of the Bible, are now to me nothing more than utter nonsense.

When I listen to atheist videos I relate intellectually to them far more than I ever did in listening to Christians about Christianity or in reading pro-Christian literature! Deism and Atheism have the solid ring of truth to me now, but not Christianity. To me non-theism (such as Deism and Atheism) are now very cool, but I rarely ever felt that Christianity was that cool, because there was always (at least since my teenage years) things about Christianity which never made sense to me.

For example, consider the following: it never made sense to me how the biblical god was opposed to women having equal rights, it never made sense that the Old Covenant laws of God defined women as being property (even daughters being the property of their fathers [see Leviticus]), it never seemed just/righteous to me that Lot (whom the Bible says was righteous) offered his daughters to be raped by a wild vicious mob, it never made sense to me how a drunken righteous Lot could get his two daughters pregnant and not realize he was having sexual intercourse with someone other than his dead wife [who had been graphically turned into a pillar of stone before his very eyes shortly earlier] - if he was asleep (while drunk) at the time he could not have got his daughters pregnant, it never made sense to me how god deemed it righteous to kill the Canaanite babies and the babies of Noah's day, it never made sense to me that the Christian god would kill someone because they did not believe in his existence or for never even knowing him (2nd Thessalonians 1:8), it never made sense to me that revelries (celebration parties) were considered bad in themselves (Galatians 5:21 NWT) by an inspired apostle of god, it never made sense to me to how the prophets could accurately remember and quote/speak to others the long winded speeches which God spoke to them only once [unless one believes they did so by power of holy spirit], it never made sense to me that god wanted animal sacrifices and the sacrifice of his foremost son, it never made sense to me how the genealogies of Jesus given in Matthew and Luke conflict with each other so immensely, it never made sense to me why my prayers (when I was a devout Christian) were ineffective [even when I prayed for more faith) when the Bible (especially the gospels) says that prayers are highly effective, it never made sense to me why God never did make himself clearly known to everyone on our planet - since god gives the eternal death penalty (or hellfire according to many Christians) to those who don't believe in his existence or who simply know nothing of him, it never made sense to me why god used Samson as one of his prophets since Samson was a very immoral man, it never made sense to me how god could transfer the consciousness of the pre-human Jesus into the ovum (or full-term baby) of Mary [since the Bible does not teach a conscious immaterial soul which can be implanted into humans (though most Christians disagree with me regarding souls)], it never made sense to me why god allowed numerous copying errors and deliberate changes to occur in the biblical manuscripts over the years - thereby resulting in great confusion as to what are actually his inspired words and messages, it never made since to me why Yahweh God allowed his name to be excluded (or removed) from the entire New Covenant when the Hebrew Old Covenant contains it over 6,000 times and even puts great stress upon knowing and using that name, it never made sense to me how some passages of the New Covenant ascribe (or imply) deity/godhood to Jesus Christ when the Old Covenant stresses a strictly unitarian concept of god, it never made sense to me how the Old Covenant portrays god as being so immensely bloodthirsty, it never made sense to me as why god did not cause all sincere devout morality loving Christians to agree as to which Christian denomination is the correct one - especially since the Bible says that God is not a god of confusion/disorder (1 Corinthians 14:33), and it never made sense to me why so many passages in the Bible (especially in the gospels) contradict each other. If I thought about it some more, I am sure I could come up with more things in the Bible which never made sense to me about Christianity.

Despite all of the above never making sense to me, I was unfortunately a devout active Christian for many years. I suspect that many current Christians also believe that most of the above never made sense to them, yet they currently remain Christians. I think they remain Christians because their denomination distracts them from dwelling on more than a few of those realizations at a time and most of the time they don't think of them at all. I thus think that non-theists can be highly effective by reminding them of those realizations. Various atheist videos, including the funny mocking ones, play a role in reminding them of those thoughts and in effectively driving the point home (to use an idiom).
Bernie D.
BernieDehler
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 740
Another reason for remaining a Christian is because of not knowing a better way. When I was a Christian, I only knew one other atheist, and he was rude and not too bright. I then decided to reach out to atheists and was surprised to learn that so many atheists were former Christians.
Gavin
Atheistic-ExJW
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 1,171
I have nearly completed writing my first non-theism tract. I tentative copy will be posted in the Activism section of our group's forum, in the discussion thread I created for my ideas of tracts.