addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

CFI Portland Meetup Group Message Board In the News › Pat Robertson announces that young earth creationism is WRONG

Pat Robertson announces that young earth creationism is WRONG

A former member
Post #: 2,141
See http://religion.blogs...­

He says he believes in radiocarbon dating.

I especially love the part of the article which says ' “If you fight science, you are going to lose your children, and I believe in telling them the way it was,” Robertson concluded.'
A former member
Post #: 2,148
The article called "2011 census: Richard Dawkins praises atheism in Wales" at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-20691092­is interesting.

Regarding what Dawkins said, the article says in part:

He said: "People who are educated in religion are positively encouraged not to investigate, not to think sceptically about why they are here, but instead to accept what people wrote 2,000 years ago.

"I guess we do need focal points for communities but you can say also that religion has been a focal point for all sorts of backward, indeed bigoted, thinking about homosexuality, about abortion, the right to die, that we're seeing at the moment."

There is a news article called "You wouldn't believe it… but having no religious affiliation is now world's third biggest 'faith' after Christianity and Islam" it is located at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2250096/You-wouldnt-believe-atheism-worlds-biggest-faith-Christianity-Islam.html­ . To me this is great news. The article says 84% of the world's inhabitants identify with a religion, thus implying that the remaining 16% of the world's inhabitants don't. The article says in part "The 'unaffiliated' category covers all those who profess no religion, from atheists and agnostics to people with spiritual beliefs but no link to any established faith." This article shows that what is taking place in the USA (where 19.6% of people now say they have no religious affiliation) mirrors what is taking place on a worldwide basis.
A former member
Post #: 2,156
News article: Muslims engage in quest to understand evolution. The subtitle is "British Muslims acknowledge a common misunderstanding of evolution but still differ about how to reconcile faith with science." In part, the article says the following:

"He maintains that no evolutionary mechanism has been found. His logic is that if successive minor changes had accumulated into a big change during speciation, transitional forms would outnumber the original and transformed species in the fossil record. But, according to palaeontologists Niles Eldredge and Stephen Jay Gould, the record showed otherwise."

"Much to the amusement of the audience, Babuna repeatedly offered a £5m cash prize to anyone who can find a transitional fossil."

"Abouheif's swift rebuttal fell on deaf ears. He pointed out that the expectation of finding transitional fossils erroneously presumes a gradual and linear model of evolution (Gould and Eldredge proposed the theory of punctuated equilibrium in 1972 to explain the absence of transitional species). He lamented that Babuna was dragging us back to Darwin's 1879 version of evolution before the discovery of DNA."

I agree that most evolution of a major degree happended in a punctuated equilibrium manner instead of the highly gradualistic manner taught by Charles Darwin and Richard Dawkings. If you would like to learn more evidence for biological evolution and of naturalism in general, then please visit my Yahoo group called "Educators_of_Naturalism_and_Humanism­".
Powered by mvnForum

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy