addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

CFI Portland Meetup Group Message Board In the News › no separation of church and state; rather, the opposite

no separation of church and state; rather, the opposite

A former member
Post #: 7
once again THE (not my, and not our) president has inserted himself where he doesn't belong, and once again he has used "god" and "heaven" and "prayer" in speeches. Our Constitution (er, didn't he swear to uphold that? I think, dad gummit, he actually swore on that there BIBLE) stipulates separation of religion and political matters, yet the person elected to the highest political office doesn't hesitate to ask me to pray and to state that "all of us" are praying. He doesn't speak for me. He is NOT a religious leader; there are priests and counselors and rabbis and ministers to help people who want to pray or who want to believe dead children are now playing harps in the sky. Millions of Americans do not believe in any god, and millions of us did not vote for him; but it doesn't stop him from his sickening and endless parade of sermons. (I won't mention all the families he is NOT visiting, families grieving because of things "his" government wants/does). My mother, who is an atheist, rationalizes that he "has" to do these things and that other presidents have been worse. Pish tosh, I say. Obama's mother would be ashamed of him. All agnostic/secular/atheistic U.S. residents should be horrified. People are talking about limiting or banning certain weapons; I wish we could limit/ban such antiquated and offensive (and childish!) delusions.
Bernie D.
BernieDehler
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 1,451
It doesn't matter what Obama says to me; he has a job to do in soothing mourners. And most people are believers. In the bigger picture of things, I see Obama's words as a non-issue.

In another direction, I think I saw a picture of him tearing-up... I understand we are all sad, but I think if a politician is showing severe emotion like that, then it is probably for show. After all, this school shooting might pale in comparison to all the soldiers (thousands) that have been giving their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan. And keep in mind, I'm personally a strong Obama supporter.

RE: Obama tearing-up
http://www.politico.c...­