Chapel Hill/Durham Book Club Message Board › Going back to NW real quick

Going back to NW real quick

D.K. N.
user 81286042
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 7
Like many of us at the meetup last night, I was compelled by last night's meeting to go back to NW and re-examine a couple of portions in the book.

What I believe I found is that the last moment in the chronology of the story isn't the last chapter, in which Natalie and Leah decided to call the police on Nathan. Rather, it's Leah's last chapter, where she receives Shar's photos by mistake.

Here's the chronology as far as I can tell:

-Felix is murdered

-Natalie and Nathan walk all over town, and eventually come upon the crime scene

-While entering the Carnivale party Leah sees a news story stating that Felix was murdered (chapter 23, page 119 in my digital copy).

-The Carnivale Party - Frank and Natalie can barely look at each other

-Day after Carnivale party - Leah is dejected about Nathan's death, Michel is furious about the birth control. Leah and Natalie get reinvigorated at the idea of reporting Nathan to the police

-Leah gets Shar's photographs by mistake from the grocery store. I think this must have happened after the birth control fight because Leah thinks to herself "why should he believe me when I've already lied about everything else." But the only lie he ever found out about was the use of birth control pills.

Another neat thing is that this moment with the photographs was chapter 37. So much of this story was about how we can't avoid the dangers of chance. But 37 was stated as a thing of magic. Chance and Magic all intertwined.

All right, I'm done rambling now, I just thought it was neat how densely buried the actual timeline of the events were in the story.
Beth L
user 71130492
Group Organizer
Durham, NC
Post #: 14
This is great Drew, I obviously need to reread the book!