addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Chicago Sci-Fi/Fantasy Meetup Group Message Board Events and Event Planning › Higgs Boson Discovery Explained through Film & Physicists

Higgs Boson Discovery Explained through Film & Physicists

Leane
lverhulst
Group Organizer
Brookfield, IL
Post #: 50
I received the message below from Monica of the Illinois Science Council. This sounds like a very interesting film, but due to work, I can not make it to this location in time for the film. If anyone is interested in having a meetup, you can "Suggest" a meetup to create one, or email me (Leane) to make a meetup for you.

Hi there,
Even though the Higgs boson is now science fact, and no longer fantasy or speculation, I thought some of your members would be interested in this event. (Even if they ARE clear on the Higgs, they'll still enjoy this. ;-)
Cheers,
Monica Metzler, Illinois Science Council

Higgs Boson Discovery Explained through Film & Physicists --

It was front-page news all across the world on July 5th -- "Scientists Discover the Elusive Higgs Boson!" Reporters valiantly tried to explain what it is and why it's so significant to scientists and the study of physics. But for most all of us, i.e., everyone who is not a physicist, it may sound interesting, but our actual understanding is still about as clear as mud. Illinois Science Council is teaming up with 137 Films to fix that. (And will make you seem positively brilliant because you'll be able to explain it to others!)

Join ISC for the screening of a compelling film, "The Atom Smashers." (“One of the best science documentaries!” - Bill Kurtis) This film clearly explains the science behind this discovery and the roller-coaster nature of the search at Fermilab. It beautifully conveys the dedication and conviction of scientists pursuing it. The film will be followed by a panel discussion featuring physicists from Fermi and Argonne National Laboratories (right here in Chicago's backyard) who have been, and continue to be, personally involved in the experiments conducted for the Higgs particle.

Higgs Boson Discovery Explained:
For poets, painters, professionals, procrastinators, and other non-physicists

Monday, July 16, 2012
6:30 - 8:30pm
Hosted at Landmark Century Cinema
2828 N. Clark Street (at Diversey), Chicago
Tickets: $10 in advance at http://HiggsBoson.Eve...­
$15 cash only at the door if seats are available.

No science prerequisites or previous understanding of physics is necessary, only your curiosity.

Space is limited! Reserve your seat now.