addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Chicago Web Professionals Meetup Group Message Board › Wordpress? Drupal? What is right for me?

Wordpress? Drupal? What is right for me?

Jason F.
user 46837312
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
Hi all! I may have met someone of you at the C3 Hackathon meetings as I'm a C3 member. I have a question because I think there is a lot of experience in this group that could provide some advice.

I work for JCC Chicago. We have older websites that we are ready to rebuild (using an outside developer. not developed internally)

http://www.gojcc.org...­
http://www.campchi.co...­

We have been steered towards Wordpress a bit, but I'm still uncertain. Is it best for our needs? Is Drupal a better solution as a CMS? The JCC site itself has a fairly large in numbers of pages. The current site received 72,000 pageviews in April using an older version of Joomla as a CMS.

I'd like it to contain things such as photo galleries, a flexible calendar that can then be aggregated onto different pages by topic, a blog/newsfeed that can be aggregated onto different pages by topic, complex levels of navigation made easy, cross sell widgets that can be applied (changed or removed) quickly and easily, form creation and management, jobs board, press releases, rotating feature graphic on the home page (with options for different rotating feature graphics on secondary types of home pages, multimedia and video embedding. These are just some features. Of course we'd like to know we could also move into things such as VR tours, message boards, interactive maps and have it be able to handle most any initiatives we may want to move into.

Some additional concerns are..
1) Speed and Load
2) Scalability
3) Flexibility
4) Security (including updates and how they relate to plug-ins for functionality)
5) Backend management and approval capability before changes to information is made

Please. I'd love to hear your thoughts on Wordpress for our site or are other routes better to go? I'm not against us going the Wordpress route. I want to know if it would work well for our needs. Thank you in advance!

(Note. There is already a donation site and OpenCart site being developed on Wordpress for JCC as a separate initiative, but I don't want to let that force us in a direction)

Jason F.
user 46837312
Chicago, IL
Post #: 2
Anybody? :-) Please? :-)

I will also be at the Meetup tonight for creating the C3 template.
Kendall C.
user 11644127
Chicago, IL
Post #: 8
Jason,

I'd be happy to speak with you about your website needs and give you some advice. I primarily use a product called Joomla which is kind of in between wordpress and drupal for most users.

I do know WordPress enough to give an informed decision and might be able to find someone to speak to you about Drupal beyond the basics that i know.

Feel free to reply back here or send me a private message if you can. I will give you an email to use privately.

Kendall Cabe