Chicagoland Fiat & Lancia Unlimited Message Board Events › 2013 Orphan Picnic/Club Picnic

2013 Orphan Picnic/Club Picnic

Tim N.
user 6475752
Oswego, IL
Post #: 155
I have often suggested that we combine the Orphan Picnic and the Club Picnic. They always gives us our own spot, so we don't have to show up at the same time. They provide grills for us to cook, so we don't have to bring any in our small cars. Lastly they provide free drinks including beer. There is plenty of room for games like bags.

THERE IS ONE DRAWBACK!. The 500's will not be let in, but their owners can just park with the spectators. I just wanted to put that out there so the club can decide. Maybe a poll?
Max B.
mbassler
Hampshire, IL
Post #: 103
Very interesting idea especially if we sell the farm. Let's see what other people's comments are and maybe do a poll? I have heard some things about the poll function, but have no first hand knowledge of how well it works.
Michael L.
sonosml
Anamosa, IA
Post #: 2,026
When is the Orphan Picnic? Did they stop letting in the vintage FIATs since they are now back selling new? I haven't been to a picnic in 2 years, last I remember, we didn't really hang out with the cars anyway, mostly sat around and visited, so I would not think leaving the new 500's outside the fence should be much of a problem. How many would even bring a new 500?
Bob G.
user 6166482
Sandwich, IL
Post #: 392
Mike, it's by car model not by make. They still let Chevy's and Ford's in as longer as the model no longer exists. That would leave the 500 as the only ineligible Fiat. This years date is August 18th.
Michael L.
sonosml
Anamosa, IA
Post #: 2,028
AH... I thought it was by Make. So very good. So that means the old 500's are now not eligible? Wow, think about how some people feel that attend every year and then a company brings back out an old model.
Terry Q.
user 27937802
Chicago, IL
Post #: 14
I think in view of Max offering the farm for the picnic (if still available at the time) it would provide a better setting for the club members, family and friends to chill and have a nice day out all together...I'm not in favor of combining this event at this time...

Mike S.
user 4764719
Springfield, IL
Post #: 34
The next Orphan Auto Picnic will be held on August 18, 2013
at the Kendall County Fairgrounds (http://www.ccecorvair...­. The event is nice and low key with plenty of other interesting cars to see. As I recall there is no admission fee. There is plenty of room to picnic near the cars and display our cars to an interested audience of other kinky car owners. Any new 500s would be only a couple hundred yards away in the adjacent parking lot - could probably park them together in a little corral. I agree with the idea of leveraging the amenities of this event to conduct our club picnic as a part of the Orphan picnic.
Dacia H.
LTRB
Park Ridge, IL
Post #: 183
Mike, do you want to be the "host" from the CHI FLU perspective? If yes I will add that to the calendar. Let me know! Dacia
Mike S.
user 4764719
Springfield, IL
Post #: 36
Yes, I can do that whether we have decided to do that as our club picnic or if only as the Orphan Picnic. Please let me know what the host duties are.
Mike S.
user 4764719
Springfield, IL
Post #: 39
I've sent an email to Larry Claypool of the Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts requesting a registration for our group of approximately 15 cars (does anyone have a better estimate?) for the 2013 Orphan Picnic. I requested the same location where they positioned us last year which was adjacent to shade trees with picnic tables.