addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Atlanta Backyard Poultry Meetup Group Message Board General Discussion › food grade diatomaceous earth for killing lice?(um... not for the chickens)

food grade diatomaceous earth for killing lice?(um... not for the chickens)

A former member
Post #: 14
Does anyone know or has anyone tried using food grade DE in human hair to treat lice? I know people who eat it as a supplement, and I know it kills lice on chickens, so it seems like it would work.

(and how would one apply it and how long would you treat it- days, a week?)

Dana K
user 9939808
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 51
Chicken lice are different from human lice. If you do not want to go the medicated route for humans, from experience we have found copious amounts of olive oil works well.biggrin Wrap your hair on your head in plastic wrap and attempt to secure. Leave this on your hair for three days. (Sleep on a towel and wear a headscarf/bandanna during the day.)

Human lice LOVE clean hair, but the nits are unable to cling on to oily hair. You should be able to use the nit-picking comb to comb them out after the oiling. Then wash, but your hair will stay fairly oily for some time.

Human lice have a 10 day life cycle. With the medication, you kill the adults, but the nits (eggs) remain attached to your hair follicles. Then they hatch after 10 days and you start all over again with your infestation.confused The oil helps you to "easily" comb out the nits. You can use both the medicated and olive oil treatments in tandem. This adds credence to Biblical times when one would "anoint their heads with oil." A health reason behind the ritual.

For chicken lice, you can see a previous post of mine about "new chicks have mites?" Fortunately, they were lice. Dusted with Sevin which killed all lice within 24 hours. Then treated brooder with DE.

Good luck! Been there, done that. Not fun.
A former member
Post #: 5
I use DE on my dogs and cats to control fleas. I also use it in and around my chicken coop, and on my chickens. I work in the Landscape industry and many clienats want me to use it in their yards as a natrual insectide.
A former member
Post #: 12
I have a friend who adopted 2 Ethiopian children. The first thing she had to do was to treat them for lice. She used Cetaphil, an over the counter skin cleanser. Google it for the procedure. It worked well for her. It would not be as difficult to shampoo out as olive oil.
A former member
Post #: 34
My dermatologist recommended Cetaphil for my skin a few years ago and I really like it.

I wonder if it would work on fleas. I've had a real flea problem this year. Maybe all the rain has made it worse. All the normal treatments for fleas haven't made a dent.

Any know about this?
A former member
Post #: 22
An old trick my Grandmother told me about years ago.......Pour straight vinegar on your hair. Let it soak in good....10 minutes or so, then wash out. She did this every week for shiny hair and to keep the bugs away.

Another product that will work on any bugs is citronella. You can find it in natural flea shampoo products. I like Natural Animal Flea Shampoo/dip and would have no problem using it on my kids if I had too.
Elaine
bunnyfeathers
Kingston, GA
Post #: 106
Topical Application of Ivermectin for Human Ectoparasites
Magda Y. M. Youssef, Hayam A. H. Sadaka, Maha M. Eissa AND Ali F. El-Ariny
Departments of Parasitology and Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt

Ivermectin is used in veterinary practice against many ectoparasites and endoparasites and is the drug of choice for treatment of human onchocerciasis. This study was carried out to investigate the effect of topical application of this drug against human ectoparasites (Sarcoptes scabiei and Pediculus humanus capitis). Ivermectin was found to have a curative effect on head lice after a single topical application. In patients with scabies, the drug was also found to be effective after a single application. However, in 50% of the cases, another application was needed five days later.
As Per:
http://www.ajtmh.org/...­

Other resources:
http://www.extension....­
http://www.safe2use.c...­
A former member
Post #: 1
The latest studies on DE have shown that it is very dangerous to inhale and can cause lung problems in humans and is not good for our animals either.

http://www.diatomite....­
A former member
Post #: 15
I don't know about the chickens- but it didn't work for us. We had to go a traditional route which was a bummer. So I cant say that I would recommend it. Thansk for all the advice.