addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Atlanta Backyard Poultry Meetup Group Message Board Chicken Problems and Illnesses › How long after molting do they start laying again?

How long after molting do they start laying again?

sandra C.
OxerFarm
Clermont, GA
Post #: 12
I've been following the molting discussion. All of my flock, including the rooster are just coming out of a molt, except for one of my hens who is still bedraggled looking but happy and healthy. I'm very glad they all molted at relatively the same time , but they haven't been laying since about the first week in November. About how long before they come back into production after molting? Can I d o anything to encourage them to return to laying or do I just let mother nature take its course?
sandra C.
OxerFarm
Clermont, GA
Post #: 13
My molting hens have started laying again! They started their molt around the second week in November and the last one came out of the molt about 10 days ago with fresh new feathers appearing rapidly all over her naked body. Now, I've had two eggs a day for the last four or five days! All five hens are laying in various orders. And, we've had some of the worst cold in a while up this way with snow and wind. I bedded their coop with extra shavings, plugging up he small cracks around the base to keep out the wind, and refreshed all the next boxes with deep bedding, kept a warm light on the inside and added a headed drinking fountain. They seem happy as clams and they got some greens this morning in their outdoor pen. I'm so pleased because this is the first year that I've made it through a complete molt with everyone going back into production again at relatively the same time. And, just in time..I was getting really tired of those store-bought eggs. Thank you my beautiful girls. And, Big Buff, the roo is happy about it too!

Sandra Carnet, Clermont, Ga. where there is snow everywhere