The Atlanta Backyard Poultry Meetup Group Message Board General Discussion › 52 thoroughbred horses will go to Sugarcreek this Saturday for slaughter

52 thoroughbred horses will go to Sugarcreek this Saturday for slaughter

Elaine
bunnyfeathers
Kingston, GA
Post #: 361
52 thoroughbred horses need homes. Will go to Sugarcreek this Saturday for slaughter. Gentleman died and his son wants nothing to do with them. Most broodmares are broke and some are in foal weanling, yearlings, 2 yrs and 3 yrs old most are gelded. FREE and papered. Friend of deceased trying to find homes 440-463-4288 or 440-463-4288. Please forward in hopes of finding homes for them!
Ron M.
Woodcutterron
West Point, GA
Post #: 52
Hope ya find homes for them. I thought the last of the equine slaughter yards were shut down, for better or for worse.
Ashley H.
SizzleMomma
Hamilton, GA
Post #: 138
Please notify everyone that you can the following update!

UPDATE!: ALL horses have been pulled from the farm. None are in danger. They are being fostered and STILL need homes though. If you all will please pass it along. http://forums.barrelh...­ Here is a small update of what is available.

Also, Ron you a right. No slaughter houses are open in the US. Sugarcreek is an Amish community and "kill buyers" go to get horses cheap and then take them across the border.
Ron M.
Woodcutterron
West Point, GA
Post #: 53
I thought it might be something like that. One of the biggest mistakes made in this country was getting rid of the equine slaughterhouses in this country where we still had a little control over how the horses were handled.

I hate to see horses go to slaughter, but the cold, hard reality is that folks have to have somewhere for unwanted horses to go when they can't be sold on the 'regular' market. Unfortunately, the bunny huggers did more harm than good to horses when they drove the slaughter market out of the country. Now, instead of being humanely slaughtered, horses tend to be abandoned, left to die slowly from lack of care, or just shot and bulldozed into a hole or whatever.

I have no intention of eating horse meat, but I do recognize that some folks do, and they have to get the meat somewhere. One thing I find odd is that many, even possibly most, of the horses that end up being sold for slaughter are in relatively poor health, which is why nobody wants them, even at wholesale meat value. I certainly don't want to eat any critter that was in poor health. Further, many of the horses are former performance horses, and more than a few where hopped up on high dosages of steroids and all manner of nasty drugs during their working careers, and I wouldn't touch that meat with a ten foot pole, or even feed it to my dogs for that matter.

A cold reality is that there are more horses out there than people who want them. Particularly in this economy, and in conjunction with the market being flooded a few years back with thousands of horses from the PMU industry dissolving . . . also ramrodded by the bunny huggers, ironically enough. Groups like PETA and United Poultry Concerns, etc. have done FAR more harm, and not-so-indirectly cause far more animal suffering than any other group of humans on the planet.

I'm just glad these horses got a reprieve, of sorts, but the cold reality is that in todays market, it can be quite difficult to even give away anything but a high quality, well bred horse. "Average" horses are a tough sell nowadays.sad

Mark D.
radisciple
Cartersville, GA
Post #: 10
are they available for adoption? my cell = 678 938-3324
Mary & Steve H.
user 12119302
Covington, GA
Post #: 203
I was just told by my neighbor that has a horse farm (Starlight Farms) that all horses have found new homes & have been placed.
Elaine
bunnyfeathers
Kingston, GA
Post #: 362
Within 6 hours of me getting this e-mail and quickly forwarding to my e-mail address book, and posting on a couple of animal lover websites (Like this one), the voicemail box for the number was full. I got over 50 responses, saying they were forwarding the e-mail to all their friends. About 10 were interested in adopting themselves. I can’t even wrap my head around the math of that. (AND I was not even the beginning of this) Due to the wonderful response to this, I have several e-mails late yesterday, letting me know that the horses have all been adopted. I got replies from as far away as New Jersey, Florida and Texas.

So tonight when you watch the news, and they are talking about social networking toppling governments on the other side of the world, you all know how it works. We are not part of a social network, we ARE the social network.

Thanks for your responses and help in finding these horses homes!
And pass this on so everyone involved gets to share the good news.
Ron M.
Woodcutterron
West Point, GA
Post #: 54
Good work!smile
Ashley H.
SizzleMomma
Hamilton, GA
Post #: 141
Please! Listen, the last I heard was all of these horses do NOT have homes. They are only safe from slaughter at rescues and in foster homes. If you have more information then me, please site your sources so the right information can be passed along.
Susan F.
user 10734476
Conyers, GA
Post #: 575
I just received messages from 3 horse friends and they all told me that the horses have new homes. I hope this is true. If you call the numbers Nanci left for us, you will be told they all have homes.