Chinese Workshop New York Message Board › Chinese Workshop: May. 4: "Sunday Picnic Series 10" - Give me a Break!

Chinese Workshop: May. 4: "Sunday Picnic Series 10" - Give me a Break!

Kat
user 2367405
Group Organizer
New York, NY
May. 4: "Sunday Picnic Series 10" - Give me a Break!

Back by popular demand, we are revisiting some of our most popular lessons! If you have missed them the first time around, here's your chance - and maybe the last one - to catch them! Kat is leaving for China in a month, and may be away for up to a year. We are counting down to the final 9 lessons. The Workshop will then close down. So ask all your Mandarin questions before she goes!

Some of the most common expressions are also the hardest to translate into another language: "Give me a break!" is certainly not meant to be taken literally. And you would be correct if you thought that its literal translation into Chinese might make you sound odd, too!

So we will explore some of those expressions that are extremely useful yet rarely found in textbooks. We will learn how to say, "So?" "It couldn't be helped (/There's nothing that I can do!)" "Mind your own business!" "I see." "I hope so." "No wonder (/That explains it.)" and "Pleeeeease!"

You can also ask about other expressions that you have long been wondering about. Please note that our Sunday Picnic starts at 4pm. We do it very much like a potluck so be sure to bring enough food and drink to share - "or else!" Now try and translate that one!

When: Sunday, May 4, 4:00 PM
Where: Public Space (Sculpture Garden) at 590 Madison Avenue
Between 56th and 57th Streets (IBM Building), Look for a table with a Meetup sign
Meeting fee: USD10.00 per person (for 2 hours of Mandarin lesson)

*Past "Sunday Picnic Series" events:
Apr. 27: "Sunday Picnic Series 9" - Chinese "Gender Roles"
Apr. 20: "Sunday Picnic Series 8" - Chinese Cooking
Apr. 6: "Sunday Picnic Series 7" - Favorite Pastimes
Mar. 30: "Sunday Picnic Series 6" - Around the World in 2 Hours (1): 7 Wonders

Learn more here:
http://chinese.meetup...­