addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Cleveland Independent Movie Goers Message Board › OFFICIAL THREAD FOR LISTING MOVIES YOU HAVE SEEN AT THE FILM FESTIVAL

OFFICIAL THREAD FOR LISTING MOVIES YOU HAVE SEEN AT THE FILM FESTIVAL

Jims
jsimler
Group Organizer
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 119
First movie was SHUFFLE. This was a great film. Good acting and storey. One you have to think and pay attention. The movie make want to find out what's going on. There is one more showing at 4:30 on Monday. If you can,see it. you won't be disapointed. If not, look for it around town, it may be shown.
Jims
jsimler
Group Organizer
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 120
I saw two movies of varying quality. This year, I will be rating them two ways.

Competency - Evaluate the plot, dialogue, actors, camera work and scenery
Compelling - Determine if I was affected by the movie. Even a well-made film doesn't mean it was compelling to me. Likewise, a sloppy movie can be moving.

Nana. This movie was difficult to watch for many reasons. Nana is taken from the perspective of its 4 year old girl who observes and makes mischief. The opening scene shows a pig being killed, including draining the blood. Later on, she finds a dead rabbit and carries it to her bed. Beyond, that, nothing much really happens. This French film does a great job of showing life on the farm, but to all the high schoolers in attendance(!), it probably resulted in more boredom than anything else. I shared their sentiments.

Competency 2 1/2 * out of 4 Compelling 1 * out of 4 12:15 PM Sunday, 8:20 PM Monday

Jitters. I always check out at least one Icelandic film a year. This coming of age story about a youth who begins to question his sexuality is well-told and well-acted. The story is set off when Gabriel kisses his male roommate. Throughout the rest of the movie, you can sense his conflicting thoughts, but not until the end of the film will you understand the meaning of Jitters and how things will never be the same. A worthy entry for a teenage gay-themed stories.

Competency: 2 1/2 * Compelling: 3 1/2 * 9:25 PM Saturday, 9:15 AM Sunday

Lynda
user 3464426
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 123
Nana I'm with Jim on this one. The only thing that kept me interested was wondering how it was possible for a 4-year-old child to entertain herself--finding so many things to capture her interest and carrying on a running dialogue--and never once show any indication that she knew she was being filmed. About the last third of the film portrays the child alone at home--a worrisome scenario, especially when she cuddles and plays with the dead rabbit (sure looked real to me!) which she pulls out of the brambles while wandering in the woods. The final touch is when she wraps it in a small blanket with some hay tucked inside and throws the whole package in the indoor fireplace, which happens to have a blazing fire going, then runs out of the house.
Although the description of this movie pretty much prepared the viewer for what to expect, I'm sure none of us expected the gruesome pig slaughter in the opening scene. I imagine that it converted some of those high school students into vegetarians!

Short Take on History An interesting set of 4 historical short subjects, which Véronique and I enjoyed. My favorites were Snow, which portrayed how the cause of cholera was discovered; and Wallenda, about the early life of the great circus performer. I wouldn't mind seeing these shorts a second time--especially Thief, a story involving Saddam Hussein--just to catch things I may have missed the first time around.

The Woman in the Fifth French, starring Kristin Scott Thomas and Ethan Hawke. Excellent cinematography. Very good psychological drama about an American writer trying to keep his life from unravelling. Although bizarre, the suspense kept me engaged from start to finish.
Susan
user 4646376
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 8
The Good Doctor Darkly humerous. Some familiar faces. It was entertai:ing, though certainly not thought producing.

Shorts Program #2:
An American Contradiction - a brief but powerful look at the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII. Eye-opening. Gave it a 4 out of 5 rating.

The High Level Bridge - 3

Rose & Violet the best short was this animated tale of two sisters. Gave it a 5

In Loco Parentis - very humerous look at sibling rivalry- 3

Oops - this was a stinker, gave it a 1

Nothing Can Touch Me - very disturbing - school shootings, 3

The 54 - also somewhat disturbing - 3

Chronicle of My Mother - I loved this, My favorite so far. Japanese film. If they show it again, see it. Reminded me of Cherry Blossoms.

The Cat Vanishes. - a great suspenseful movie. Very entertaining with surprising ending.
Vero G
Veronique
Mentor, OH
Post #: 1
The art of love
Sorry for no french speakers, you missed a good movie! And I could get a better seat than the one with my Stand-by ticket! Many romantic situations described with finesse, accuracy and humor, and nice views of Paris!
Give it 4 out of 5 rating

Come as you are
Still a stand-by ticket, so I was in the forefront, but lucky to come in to view this great movie, which was an excellent surprise for me. The subject is initially hard and serious, but it is treated with intelligence even with lightness, it never falls into gritty, the actors are excellent and we are constantly passing from laugher to tears.
I saw "intouchables" , this movie has a great success in France (Cesar of the best actor for Omar Sy), it's a good one and you can go to see it on Sunday 1st, but "hasta la vista" is definitively my favorite!
buy a ticket quickly, final session this Tuesday, 6:20
Give it 5
Calvin R.
cvan3064
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 16
Soul Of Flies--An entertaining little film. Quirky, with a fair number of laugh out loud moments. On the whole the it's very obvious this was filmed on a shoestring budget. Viewed on the "It Is What It Is" Scale-judging it by the standards of a film made buy a guy with one camera who had his friends of family as the cast and crew it's a home run. Viewed on the scale of "Is It A Good Movie"-well I spent a pleasant 80 minutes chuckling now and then but I'll probably not give it a second thought after I finish this review and certainly never attempt to see it again. I did question a little why the filmmaker set this up as a brother's coming to grips with knowing each other road film, even having their father's ghost give them a little speech about them needing to learn to trust each other, and failing in ever making me believe they've come to any sort of breakthrough in their relationship.

Drive In Movie Memories-I probably should mention I do a fair amount of work in the history/archiving field, and take the presentation of the past fairly seriously. So Kuenne's cutesy, Ha Ha wasn't the world a silly place 60 years ago sort of presentation struck me as a bit annoying and very unprofessional. Especially as there were numerous archival images that were quite wonderful that he sped right through, giving us no time to enjoy them. I wanted a bit more serious piece on the numerous ideas the drive-in owners came up with to enhance their products, Kuenne gave me what almost bordered on camp. Given all of that I enjoyed it, as there were several pieces of historical information I found fascinating, I just didnt like how it was delivered to me. The 4 shorts before the movie, all made between 2004-2008, were pretty enjoyable. They interlocked, with characters coming in out out of the four shorts. TJ Thyne was especially enjoyable.

Apartment in Athens-Bleak, troubling, and will probably meet my standard's for what a really good film is. Which basically means am I thinking about what the film was about, what the filmmaker was trying to say, and what I took away from it a couple days after I saw it. I'm guessing I will. A couple very good performances, plus some somewhat subtle exploration of the meaning of a couple complex issues, not the least being subservience-I like to see it again as I'd want to watch it for the sake of settling some questions I have rolling around my head-but I dont want to see it as it did take a bit out of me emotionally. As I said, bleak an troubling. A Strong Film.
Susan
user 4646376
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 9
Sunday 3/25

Immature - absolutely wonderful!

Free Men - extremely well done and educational movie about plight of Algerian Jews in France during German occupation. And interesting to discover that Muslims had harbored them and helped them escape. A must-see.

Apartment in Athens Another film that takes place during WWII, but this time in Greece under the German occupation. A German Captain takes up residence in a family's apartment.
Calvin says it best.
Alex
user 2952202
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 5
3/22
Nesting--A 90-minute sitcom. A few good laughts, but otherwise meh.

3/23
Hollywood Complex--Documentary on stage parents and their children who hope to break into show business. Sad in parts, funny in parts. Well-made and compelling. Parents, don't let your children grow up to be actors.

The Monk--Dark drama about a monk who falls prey to a "she-devil" and succumbs to temptations of the flesh. Very good acting and the story was well-told and directed.

3/24
Tyrannosaur--Tough movie to watch (in other words, typical Film Festival fare) about a widower in England who has anger management issues, and a shopkeeper who is in an abusive marriage. Terrific performances by the leads and despite the grim mood, I was fascinated. Ending was spot on.

Shuffle--I have to say I was a little disappointed. Terrific set-up and I was hooked immediately, but I felt let down by the way it ended. Very well-directed and good performances.

3/25
Headhunters--Probably the best film I've seen so far. A Norweigan thriller based on a book by Jo Nesbo. It's coming to the Cedar Lee in May. Pretty violent, but very suspenseful.

Drive-In Movie Memories--Nice counterbalance to the violence of "Headhunters." I liked this more than Calvin did. Nice history of the drive-in, albeit rushed, as Calvin said. The four shorts before the movie were entertaining.
Vero G
Veronique
Mentor, OH
Post #: 2
Hotline
I wanted to see it on Saturday, but it was sold out, no stand-by, today the theater was full at noon for this excellent movie. Very funny and original story with 3 women of character, very endearing, which takes place in a beautiful small Bavarian village..... You can see it on Saturday morning, I recommend it !
Excellent, Give it 5

Family portrait in black an white
Beautifull documentary, which shows the difficulties encountered by Ukrainian citizen child, who were orphan as Bi-racial and non-accepted by the rest of the population, and collected by a foster mother overprotective who do not let them pursue their dream. Very interesting description of the Ukrainian society, with an anti-black racism.
Very good, give it 4
Jims
jsimler
Group Organizer
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 121
I agree with Calvin about The Soul of the Flies. A good quirky film that really works.

Shuffle was my favorite (so far). Creative, Twilight Zone-like but lots of warmth. Don't compare it Groundhog's days as that Bill Murray film does not hold a candle to this one.

Come as You Are. Liked it even though it was formulaic. What saved it was a good emotional story even thought there were small things I didn't like about it. PS. Don't tell Amy since she loved it. :-)

Athens - Good but not great. There are better films but many worse.

One that keeps resonating with me is Tyronnosaur. I came out of the film thinking why did i bother since it was so depressing? But on reflection, I think it was the best acted, most realistic and well-made film I saw so far.

Scrapbook was my biggest surprise (same guy as Shuffle). He made it at age 22 and it was great. Even in that pre 2K film, you could say greatness.