Cleveland Independent Movie Goers Message Board › What films did you see at the 2014 CIFF?

What films did you see at the 2014 CIFF?

Jims
jsimler
Group Organizer
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 134
List your opinion of films you saw?
Jims
jsimler
Group Organizer
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 140
Frankly, the first movie of the 38th Cleveland International Film Festival was an ominous start. Crack, Back and Sack had a lot going for it. Norwegian, Irreverent, Sexual tension and an attractive cast. But all those ingredients couldn’t save it from being overly vulgar (discussing private parts really got old) and listless. The characters were neither believable and frankly I didn’t really care about them. Plus the scenery, wasn’t all that great. 1 1/2 * out of 4

I didn’t have time to contemplate my section when I ended up sitting next my counterpart Jewel to drink in the wonderful Waltz for Monica. This unknown jazz singer on this side of the Atlantic took some major risks by singing jazz greats in Swedish, her country of origin. While the film didn’t break much ground in terms of movie making, the story was first rate and lead actress Edda Magnason was simply amazing singing and acting in this movie. If the world were a fairer place, she would have a Oscar nomination under her belt. It shows again on Saturday March 22 at 11:30AM and at the Cedar Lee on Wednesday March 26 at 9:15 PM. **** Vivian and Alan also liked it.

Umma Among Friends was both a feel good movie and dealt with racial profiling better than I have seen in any film. Daniel is an undercover secret service man who is temporarily relieved of his duties after a questionable shootout. He is moved to a heavily Arab location where he begins to become friends with the locals. When he witnesses how his new friends are treated, primarily based on their ethnicity, he begins to see his role in a different perspective. ***1/2 Saturday March 22: at 9:30 PM and Sunday 9:15 AM. Amy and Kathy also liked it.
Vivian
user 33194392
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 8
yes - i liked Waltz for Monica. Review above says it all

Anina - animated film that I hear the Plain Dealer panned. I thought it was creative and very funny. Audience I sat with seemed to love it.

maryan - I hear for a Bollywood it was short. 151 minutes too long for me. Film is beautiful in parts, violent in others, a couple of good bollywood numbers. good storyline. just too long.

palestine Radio - mediocre at best.

For No Good Reason - this was the only showing of this movie about Ralph Steadman, animator and artist. I really enjoyed it but I already thought his work was amazing. Rumored to be coming to the Cedar Lee

Topped the day off with Continental - the story of the famous baths of new york city where bette midler got her start - but she is only a small part of the story. Really well done with interesting perspectives on what was going on for gay people in the early 70's in New York City. I would recommend it.
Susan
user 4646376
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 14
Tonight I saw The Birder's Guide to Everything. A light and charming story. The kids were the best part, wasn't too crazy about the adult's acting, but thoroughly enjoyed this touching, sometimes funny, sometimes a bit sad story. I recommend it. And Ben Kingsley was in it.

Then I saw Oliver, Stoned. Wasn't sure how I was going to like it, but wanted to get another movie in tonight. There were parts that I didn't care for, a bit vulgar, and in the beginning I was worried it was going to just be a movie with bad actors playing stoners, but then started to enjoy it, and ended up laughing so hard till I cried, as did most of the audience. Actually a very funny movie, and if you have ever partaken in the film's subject, there is one scene in particular that you will relate to and will laugh a lot.
Calvin R.
cvan3064
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 19
I Saw The Eternal Return of Antonis Paraskevas last night-and it will be showing today Friday the 21st at 5:15.
I spent a lot of time in Greek Culture for several years so I try and still catch some Greek films. And while I enjoyed this one I'd love someone to see it and tell me what they though. As the film's tone kept changing til the end where there was in fact really no ending and I was a bit lost wondering what the heck had happened. I have my theories but Im unsure.
It is an odd movie, and I hesitate to recommend it, but Im glad I saw it.
Karen
user 36533872
Stow, OH
Post #: 1
I am seeing the following films:

3/20--7:20--Birder's Guide to Everything--Very cute coming of age film. The kids were cute and it gave some great scenery with the birds and made me want to become a birder.

3/21--8:45--Handy--A really creative movie about hands that was very entertaining, as well as had a deeper meaning. I liked this one.

3/22--2:00--Ivory Tower--A really thorough documentary about the cost and value of college--it explored all possible viewpoints. Very well done and it had a Cleveland connection. I liked this one.

3/22--Awful Nice--Worst movie!! Had no plot and was the lowest of slapstick humor. Almost walked out on it--but I wanted to stay to give it a poor vote!

3/23--2:45 Life's A Breeze--cute--light-hearted Irish comedy. I found it entertaining.

3/23--5:00 Grantham & Rose--I really enjoyed this movie. It was a coming of age movie and with an octogenarian helping the young boy! We'll done--great music and it had Marla Gibbs--yes Florence from Jeffersons--as the old lady helping the boy. Marla may be old but she can act. I thoroughly enjoyed this one!

3/24--6:20 A Time In Quchi--Beautiful film from Taiwan about a boy coming of age. Well done-- a little long but still good.

3/24 8:40 On The Job--Good action film about the corruption and politics in the Phillipines. Acting was good by the main character--I enjoyed this.

3/25--5:30--Chasing Ghosts--This film was well done. The little boy was really good. It was sad--but it had a a really good message. Loved it!

3/25--7:20 Ride With Larry--Excellent documentary. It was really insightful about Parkinson's disease as well as it was hopeful and took you in one man's effort to do something big while having advanced parkinson's. Great film!

3/26--9:35 p.m.--Awake In A Bad Dream--An intersting look at women with breast cancer in Belgium and how they cope. It was interesting to note that they all had a very close relationship with their doctors which is not often the case in the US.

3/28--2:40--Slingshot--excellent film about the world's dirty water problem and how the inventor of the Segway is going to fix it, as well as insight regarding the inventor of the Segway and all of his inventions. Excellent film--one of the best at the festival!
3/28--6:15--Farmland--Really interesting movie about the changes/evolution of farming the millennial generation that is farming.
3/28--9:00--The Verdict--Intense suspenseful film.

3/29--9:25 a.m.--Here Was Cuba--Really interesting to see how close we were to all out nuclear war--very scary!!
3/29--11:25 a.m. Back Issues: The Hustler Magazine Story--Very entertaining and interesting about the male adult entertainment industry and evolution.
3/29--3:00--To Be Takei--very entertaining and funny about what a passionate, activist and endearing person of George Takei! Loved it and laughed a lot!!
3/29--5:00--Matt Shepard Is a Friend of Mine--Have to post a separate post. By far the best film of the festival!

3/30--2:40--Walesa, Man Of Hope--very well done and very interesting. A great re-creation of an amazing man's struggles for freedom in Poland.
3/30--7:05--Just About Famous--Very entertaining and funny!
Alan
user 12968032
Rocky River, OH
Post #: 3
Alan

WALTZ FOR MONICA A memorizing film dealing with the legendary Swedish jazz singer, Monica Zetterlund played by first time actress and jazz singer. Edda Magnason whose needness sends her life on a downhill course. Filmed in rich dark golden colors. The jazz singing is absolutely terrific - TWO THUMBS UP!!

PARIS OR PERISH - A cute and entertaining film dealing with a fashion designed from Morocco who learns how to reclaim her identity which ultimately leads her to a successful fashion career. Priceless is her walking on the unpaved Moroccan roads in high heel fashion shoes

A BIRDER GUIDE TO EVERYTHING A teenager's passion for bird watching leads him to embark on a journey that will aid in accepting the loss of his mother's death which he struggles to overcome. The teenage actors bond wonderfully together however the adult actors exhibit much to be desired.
Jims
jsimler
Group Organizer
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 141
Birdwatching movie was a bit of a heart tugger but Alan was right, the adults were just ridiculous. And of course, Ben Kingsley plays an older wise man who has a checkered past but somehow he is able to break through the teenagers and they listen to him. I have never seen a character in a movie like that ever :-) **1/2 out of 4

That Burning Feeling is about a 20 something guy who dates / sleeps with a lot of women but it doesn't mean anything. Then he meets another woman and they become a hot item. Then she discovers a misunderstanding from the past and they break up. Then later on, he does something really good and they get together. I am sure you have never seen another film like that before (smile 2). It was okay as the characters were likable. **1/2 out of 4

La Jaula is gritty story about 4 Guatelmalan teenagers trying to come to America. It was very real and enlightening. I can't say i would recommend this film based on the subject matter, but I felt better walking out of this than some of its fluffier counterparts *** out of 4 (for allowing me to learn something i hadn't seen before)

Vivian
user 33194392
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 9
Today I saw
the Human Factor - slow moving Italian detective movie. Good story line, pretty intense. If they could have cut a few scenes of no merit it would have been much better. 3 stars sorry I changed my mind at the last minute and didn't go to Gore Vidal. Vidal got good buzz afterwards.

A birder's Guide - I liked it a lot. Yes - the adults were almost useless but there were some conversations about grief amongst the kids that really hit home with me. 4 stars. I think it is getting a general release. Worth seeing but not must see.

That Burning Fever - Very, very predictable story line with predictable acting. 2 stars.

oliver, Stoned - so sorry I wasted my time. Audience laughed early on but seemed to quiet down near the end. Was I really in the same theater as Susan? 0 stars.

The Verdict - this bumps Waltz for Monica off the top spot. Story is about a man who's wife is murdered and the judicial process in Belgium. The film makers are making a political statement. Very moving, very intense. Well acted, well written and generally very well done. Five Stars.
Susan
user 4646376
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 16
People were certainly laughing where I was sitting, and yes, some of it was just dumb, but sometimes you just need to have a good laugh.