Bill A.
user 22372581
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 1
I truly enjoyed myself and everyone I met. I look forward to more events...

Bill Allen
A former member
Post #: 27
I was asked many questions after Mr. Goddard’s talk following my comments about how I became skeptical about religion. I would like to clarify my statement. For years French-Canadian who were a majority in Quebec were held back economically and politically by the Roman Catholic Church. This resulted in the English minority who were mainly Protestants to maintain control of the Province.

Women raised large families and men had to outsourced themselves to work away from home, there was a lot of poverty, minimum education and strong religious beliefs that influence the population to vote for the Conservative Party of Maurice Duplessi who was in league with the English movers and shakers and in bed with the Roman Catholic church. This alliance resulted in the population voting against their own best interests. If this sounds familiar to what is currently happening in the US, it is not a coincidence. In my opinion if follows a pattern of religious intimidation that can be observed in following the emergence of the right-wing parties here at home.

This is an excerpt from Wikipedia about Quebec.

During the 1950s and 1960s, Quebec maintained record fertility rates. The Roman Catholic church using their priests (established in all parishes and small towns) guided and directed people's attitudes and morals in those days. In the post–Quiet Revolution era, this attitude completely changed. In 2001, the fertility rate in Quebec was 1.474 per thousand.
In Quebec, many, if not all, married women retain their maiden names when they marry, as was the case in the Middle Age. This is mandated in the Civil Code of Quebec. This followed the 1970s strong feminist movement and the Quiet Revolution. Since June 24, 2002, Quebec has had a civil union system available to both opposite-sex and same-sex couples. On March 19, 2004, Quebec became the third province in Canada to legally perform a same-sex marriage, following a court challenge brought by Michael Hendricks and René Leboeuf. The province is known as one of the most tolerant and gay friendly places in North America.

Mark T.
user 4783078
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 549
Re: Bill- Very glad you came, it was great to meet you!

Re: Daniella- Very interesting, thank you! It's great that Quebec got itself out from under the oppressive thumb of Catholicism. I never knew the history there- I always (mistakenly) figured that all of Canada was a whole lot more secular than the U.S. in recent history.