addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Cleveland Freethinkers Message Board The Cleveland Freethinkers Discussion Forum General Discussions › Superb Article on Atheism in the U.S.

Superb Article on Atheism in the U.S.

Mark T.
user 4783078
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 554
Columnist Brandon Givens of the Gainesville (GA) Times really nails it in a nutshell. This one is a keeper- it's a good piece to send off to family members, etc. who can't comprehend your non-theism.

Givens: Atheists misunderstood in US, but don’t need to remain silent
Rafiq M.
RafiqMahmood
Bogor, ID
Post #: 927
I agree. It's clear, well written and structured. I've having it translated into Indonesian. I want to build up a body of material that we can translate into (eventually) the main languages of the "Muslim world" and release perhaps in magazine format. Of course I also want to get permission to serialise the well-known (among us!) books too.

Brandon's column is a great introduction and cries out to be used.

Any more suggestions for material that we should translate? What we really need, of course, is a cartoonist...

Morgan
morgan404
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 562
Good article. I don’t think, though, that it conveys the level of pressure to remain silent.

I’d be interested in something directed toward Christian “apologists” who deny the harm of religion and minimize the challenges of being atheist. For instance, as a freelancer, my livelihood requires me to be careful not to broadcast my lack of adherence to any of the popular flavors of Jehovah-worship.
A former member
Post #: 66
I agree with Morgan. As someone who will be looking for a job (in a completely new field from one I have previously worked) in another year or so - I definitely feel the need to not broadcast my lack of belief. With the economy the way it is, I don't want to do *anything* that will differentiate me in a negative way from other job candidates. Even once I have a job, I don't really want to discuss religion with co-workers. You just never know who might react negatively and give you grief (either openly or behind your back) at work once they know you're an atheist. Unfortunately, it is often better to stay "closeted" in professional settings.
Sam S.
secuhumatheist
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 10
I also agree with Morgan and Robyn. I found in the construction field that when I announced my Atheism I started getting less and less work. I'm with a new company now and I don't want to say anything in fear that I won't be able to pay my bills.
Rafiq M.
RafiqMahmood
Bogor, ID
Post #: 932
This is astonishing. Did anyone dare tell the US that they are living in the middle ages along with the mad mullahs? From a European perspective this discrimination against people of no faith is positively bizarre.