addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Cleveland Freethinkers Message Board The Cleveland Freethinkers Discussion Forum General Discussions › Akron Spiritual Discussion Group

Akron Spiritual Discussion Group

Ray V
user 7799412
Stow, OH
Post #: 830
A new Meetup Group has invaded CFI's Panera!

http://www.meetup.com...­

Somehow I bet we would liven up the conversation if we attend one of their meetings.
A former member
Post #: 171
hahaha... I'd love to infiltrate and stir things up a little...! ;)
Rafiq M.
RafiqMahmood
Bogor, ID
Post #: 1,034
What! You wicked people! Do you intend to go in there and spread doubt and disillusionment? How awful!

Beware, my children, do not lead them down the slippery stairs...

Well, I don't really see why they need a meetup group to talk about The Meaning of Life (or even The Meaning of Liff). After all, Monty Python and Douglas Adams said it all.

Nita
user 8667892
Akron, OH
Post #: 5
They don't seem to know left from right- probably don't know truth from lie either.
Ray V
user 7799412
Stow, OH
Post #: 833
The are probably all new-agey. This is a huge improvement over fundamentalism but it can be still a case of open mind - brain falls out syndrome. But then again they may have some good thinkers over there, I'll try to reserve judgement. I'm really excited about the Philosophy group is going to do Joe Campbell. He is one of my all time favorite authors.
Rafiq M.
RafiqMahmood
Bogor, ID
Post #: 1,036
I don't think the philosophy group can do much philosophy if they instruct you to...
... bring an open mind and a friendly tolerance/respect for others' ideas.
. That's me b*gg***d for a start.

Mark T.
user 4783078
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 560
Indeed... bad philosophy deserves to be thrashed, just like bad religion- er, religion in general.
A former member
Post #: 20
You know, this message of spirituality appeals to me. For you see, I've wasted much of my life and don't want to make the effort to change. Tell me more!!
Mark R. O.
MROrel
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 87
I don't understand, this group is asking questions and encouraging
discussion. How is this bad?

Ray & Nita, there is also a difference between assuming and understanding.

Mark T., who gets to decide what constitutes "bad philosophy"?

M. Orel
Rafiq M.
RafiqMahmood
Bogor, ID
Post #: 1,037
I agree that if the group truly encourages asking questions and free debate that is a good thing. It is also true that we should not assume things about others as they should assume things about us.

Mark T's point, and mine, is that ideas are not worthy of respect because of their existence, unlike people. We can only decide for ourselves what "bad philosophy" might be if we hear full and free arguments. You cannot be constrained by having to have a friendly tolerance and respect for other people's ideas if you think them wrong. You should be free to attack them – albeit respecting the person who might hold those ideas. The attack should be persuasive and gentle if it is to be effective, or it may be vigorous and incisive; depending on the circumstances. But you cannot be expected to tolerate the intolerable or respect something which is not worthy of respect.

I expect others to attack my ideas if they are wrong. I do not want to continue holding misconceptions just because someone is afraid of being disrespectful or intolerant to concepts they disagree with.

That is the only way we can get to decide what indeed constitutes bad philosophy.