The Cleveland Freethinkers Message Board The Cleveland Freethinkers Discussion Forum General Discussions › Akron Spiritual Discussion Group

Akron Spiritual Discussion Group

A former member
Post #: 7
I don't understand, this group is asking questions and encouraging
discussion. How is this bad?

Ray & Nita, there is also a difference between assuming and understanding.

Mark T., who gets to decide what constitutes "bad philosophy"?

M. Orel

Mark, I agree. There may be plenty of people and things I don't agree with, but I'm not going to be a troll.
Besides, if anyone actually read their page, it had some decent discussion questions, such as "Why do bad things happen to good people?" "What is the purpose of life?" (which included both a Biblical quote as well as one from Richard Dawkins on its page- nonjudgmentally, too).
Nita
user 8667892
Akron, OH
Post #: 6
Mark O + Jenny, CFI used to meet at Panera, and at the last social someone remarked on the irony of CFI being replaced there by this spiritual group. My assumption was only about the location in Panera of their meeting.

I haven't said, or read, anything here about the group being "bad" for asking questions and encouraging discussion.

I have no interest in a discussion of how to determine god's plan for one's life, and doubt they will be successful at finding that plan, for obvious reasons, but I wish them well in the attempt.
A former member
Post #: 212
This is the description of the group-
"Are you as tired of the same small talk about weather and sports as we are? A meetup for those seeking meaningful, deep conversations about spirituality in an inclusive, non-judgmental, non-argumentative forum. All viewpoints are welcome and encouraged. The bible will at times be used as a reference."
I'm not sure how all viewpoints can be welcome but it also be non-argumentative or judgmental, unless everyone takes a turn voicing a viewpoint which may be totally contradictory to all the others and everyone nods and smiles in response without trying to figure out if one is more valid than another.

I see this in a lot of meetup group descriptions. We welcome all, non-judgmental. This is wishy washy and reminds me of some personals profiles I used to read that tried to cast such a wide net and be so inoffensive as to pretty much be without any personality or selling point. "I love walks on the beach and staying at home watching tv. I love fancy nights on the town in Armani or just wearing jeans with a piece of straw in my mouth and a cowboy hat." A group, like a person, needs to define itself to be effective at doing that something it hopes to achieve. That may evolve over time for these types of groups as it does even for those that start off with a specific goal in mind.

I think that being argumentative would not be welcomed there and if anyone were to do so, it would be trolling. Just going out of curiosity is another matter.