The Cleveland Freethinkers Message Board › Have you ever had a "doubting atheist" moment?

Have you ever had a "doubting atheist" moment?

A former member
Post #: 23
As a general rule, it's important to remember that we're all just human beings. None of us are completely immune to the weaknesses and the "security exploits" of the mind that the religious nut jobs we see running around today seem to be afflicted with. I guess.........
Shlomoh
shlomoh
Euclid, OH
Post #: 44
I have it every day but I don't sweat the small shit
A former member
Post #: 4
Jenny:

It's funny, you posting this at this time, as I have
just deconverted from atheism.

There is just too much I do not know in this universe,
and for me atheism seems too limiting in asking who,
what, when, where and why.

Experience is what makes us who we are.
For the record I am an agnostic. For myself, I believe
the same evidence exists for God as against. This
is my opinion.

M. Orel
"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance."
- Socrates

I like what Carl Sagan wrote in his excellent The Demon-Haunted World (p. 302), which debunks many superstitious concepts, but even he felt that : "At the time of writing there are three claims in the ESP field which, in my opinion, deserve serious study: (1) that by thought alone humans can (barely) affect random number generators in computers; (2) that people under mild sensory deprivation can receive thoughts or images "projected" at them; and (3) that young children sometimes report the details of a previous life, which upon checking turn out to be accurate and which they could not have known about in any other way than reincarnation. I pick these claims not because I think they're likely to be valid (I don't), but as examples of contentions that might be true. The last three have at least some, although still dubious, experimental support. Of course, I could be wrong."

Especially concerning #3 (much of the best research in that field has actually been done by former atheists, so it's quite thorough compared to other things- in addition, unlike most religions, cases can actually be fact-checked), I can no longer in good "faith" (ha) call myself an atheist. Freethinker, definitely.
Mark T.
user 4783078
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 563
Re: Eric- Definitely sounds like a flashback to me! Heavily dogmatic religion is mind-consuming, and I can see how it can easily cause aftereffects. I thank my creators, mom and dad, for not immersing me in religious bullpoop.

Re: Mark O.- You said "I believe the same evidence exists for God as against."

I bet you can't logically justify that opinion without making stuff up.

Sam S.
secuhumatheist
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 23
From the minute I freed myself from the shackles of religion and superstition I never looked back. I am free to think, doubt and question. And as I do those things not one superstition has given light to evidence for itself. It is not a matter of doubting my Atheism. It is a matter of you proving your god. Meanwhile I will be promoting reality.
A former member
Post #: 14

Ok ...just checking out the various replies. As a newcommer, I wonder ... since I believe most Atheists seem to come from some previous religious background ..... is that where their "moral compass" was set?

Even, Engels, Marx, Lenin, Stalin, Chaiman Mao, and Castro seemed to have come have come to their Atheism from a previous religious connection. Where did they "re-set" their moral compass to acheive the attrocities associated with their state and secular power as Atheists?

The Golden Rule, the centre-piece of all religions, from Zoroastrianism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Mormonisn and Reform Bahai....."Do unto your neighbour as you would have him do onto you" is most certainly embraced by many fine Atheists, at least the ones I know.

There are several more infamous Atheists that I am glad "not to know"...... Ghengis Khan, Pol Pot, Kim Il Jong, just to name a few.
I suppose ones "moral compass" could be set by Government of the State...IRS, Police, FBI etc.
but then are we saying ...under penalty of law...you MUST do the right thing , so I will do the right thing?

Interesting...so the question is: Where is the "Moral Compass" set"
Mark Orel mentions "conscience" ...perhaps that's a better word. How then does an Atheist set his conscience for the moral high-ground?

A former member
Post #: 5

Interesting...so the question is: Where is the "Moral Compass" set"
Mark Orel mentions "conscience" ...perhaps that's a better word. How then does an Atheist set his conscience for the moral high-ground?

Perhaps this topic deserves its own thread?
A former member
Post #: 6
I had two experiences where I had sudden psychic type flashes out of nowhere that are to specific to be discounted easily. But it was really about relatively trivial things and I couldn't recreate (I did try for a little bit, just casually). Where would I go from there even assuming that were true? Nowhere really, nothing in reality points to that. If there is something "out there" that science doesn't know about, eventually they'll find it. If somehow there are untapped psychic powers I'll put my money on science finding it before any psychic.

I'm glad James Randi decided not to end his Million Dollar Challenge after all. It's a good thing for science.

Though I have thought about this sometimes: If I WAS psychic, although the million dollars would be nice, why would I do that and not make even more in, say, roulette, and be able to stay anonymous? Whoever won the Challenge would have his/her name published everywhere. The military would want to recruit them, so there goes any semblance of a "normal" life. Suspicious people would want to kill them. A bunch of crazies would follow him/her around everywhere (think "Life of Brian.") Sure, psychic powers would be "proven," but wouldn't that prompt more frauds? ("See, psychic powers ARE real! Therefore, I am too!")
A former member
Post #: 112

Where did they "re-set" their moral compass to acheive the attrocities associated with their state and secular power as Atheists?

Possibly from the persistant idea that the ends can justify any means used to achieve them. The excuse of despots of all ideologies, including some of our own home-grown tyrants.

Why do you capitalize atheist and atheism?

How then does an Atheist set his conscience for the moral high-ground?

Many of us reject notions of absolute morality and the idea that there is a single high-road. There is also no set standard of anything inherent to atheism, including morality. I expect the answer varies with the individual.
Sam S.
secuhumatheist
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 24
The whole idea of a moral compass is a strawman argument. The idea of what is better or worse for the human race began way before any religion began. It has always been a matter of what is better for the whole. Not what is better for a individual belief.