Note: You can also RSVP on eventbrite - http://techlawstartups.eventbrite.com
BOAG | LAW, PLLC will be hosting, "Intellectual Property and Technology Law for Startups and Emerging Companies". Come enjoy a glass of wine and learn the essentials of patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret protection, along with answers to the most common questions and practical tips for avoiding frequent missteps. Learn how the recent expansion of top-level domains might impact your business, and how to protect yourself.
Topics will include:
• Types of subject matter eligible for patent, trademark, and copyright protection.
• Strategic development of an IP portfolio.
• The process and costs for obtaining IP protection.
• When it is safe to disclose your ideas, and how to avoid compromising your rights.
• What investors like about (good) IP.
• How to avoid infringing the rights of others: clearance searches and opinions.
• What to do if you receive a notice letter or takedown notice.
• New domain spaces and your business .
• NYC and 1000+ new domains Strategies for navigating the new domain space
• How to protect your company or business - cost effective manner
• Help, someone stole my brand/name online
• IP protection in the new domain space
• Current Trends
David A. Boag is the founder of BOAG LAW, PLLC, a boutique intellectual property law practice that focuses on patent, trademark, copyright, and technology law. The firm specializes in complex technology matters and frequently counsels startup and emerging companies on their IP issues.
David has an undergraduate degree in computer science from the University at Buffalo and worked as a software developer prior to law school.
Prior to forming the firm, David spent over ten years with Amster, Rothstein & Ebenstein LLP where he handled a wide range of intellectual property matters for a client base ranging from Fortune 100 multinational corporations to sole proprietors and inventors. David’s experience includes patent, trademark, and copyright litigation, strategic prosecution, licensing, and dispute resolution, among many others. Visit www.boagip.com
David Mitnick is the founder of domainSkate,an online service which allows brand owners to safeguard their business by making sure that third party infringers, scammers, and/or competitors are not using their name to confuse or deceive customers by registering identical or similar domains, or putting up fraudulent websites.
As an official Trademark Clearinghouse agent, DomainSkate informs customers of their trademark rights and protections while providing the opportunity to claim domains before being offered to the public. DomainSkate alerts companies of opportunities as new Top Level Domains are released to purchase new relevant domain names. Visit www.domainskate.com.
WeWork provides entrepreneurs with beautiful workspace, personalized support, business services, digital tools, benefits, infrastructure, and the flexibility they need to succeed. To learn more about WeWork's 8 locations in New York City, send an email to [masked] and let them know you were referred by this event. Visit us at www.wework.com.
Note: If you are not interested in this event, please RSVP "No." That way, you will not get any reminder emails regarding this event in the future.