addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Online ColdFusion Meetup Message Board › Seeking input on Open Source project

Seeking input on Open Source project

Bryan H.
user 12125040
Huntsville, AL
Post #: 1
As a new member to the ColdFusion Meetup, first I'd like to say hello to everyone and introduce myself briefly. I've been working with ColdFusion starting around 1998. I might be a new name online, but I've been in and around the CF community virtually and physically for a long time, just lurking anonymously. :)

As some of you have probably experienced, the transition to the Google App Engine (GAE) for pre-existing applications is somewhat problematic when it comes to the database. In attempting to move one of my simple apps to GAE, I ran into the Object Store buzz-saw. I needed an interim solution for transitioning my existing databases to the cloud, one that didn't require a complete rewrite of my database interface layer, and a transition from RDBMS to an object-based DB.

So, I created the Helium-Engine Database (HeDB), and I've decided that I'd like to release it as Free Open Source Software.

My reason for posting here is two-fold:

• This is my first OSS project, so I'm looking for people who are willing to provide advice on developing and releasing OSS, especially in the CFML-realm (this project is necessarily built with Open BlueDragon). As this is my first OSS project, I'm seeking advice specifically on the best/worst source repository/tracking systems.
  • I'm looking for critiques/input/ideas/use-cases or any other input the community would like to give

I'm in an early phase of this project, so I'm not yet ready to release the source, however it will be made available when I get my P's and Q's in order. The database is currently very functional; more than just a proof of concept. I have a console that allows you to interact with the database as a demo. There are bug-fixes and features I'm still working on for the official release, but I am willing to provide HeDB in its current form to people, by request on a limited basis. At this point install is very easy, but I'd like to put together some working examples on how to use it in your code, not just from a console.

The pre-release url of this project is http://www.heliumengi...­

To summarize, I'm asking the CFML community for help in getting this project off the ground.

HeliumDB basics

• Runs on the Google App Engine cloud
  • Runs inside the Open BlueDragon GAE CFML engine
  • Acts as a translation-layer between ANSI-SQL and the Google DataStore
  • Uses the Google DataStore to store tables
  • Supports multiple database "schemas" as well as simple table joins, select, insert, update and delete SQL syntax
  • Designed to be RESTful architecture compatible

-Bryan Hurley