The Boulder (and Beyond!) Vegan Meetup Group Message Board The Boulder Vegan Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Benefits of a vegan diet for all people?

Benefits of a vegan diet for all people?

Jess S.
user 6180101
Boulder, CO
Post #: 11
Hey y'all,

I've recently had several conversations with people who argue that a vegan diet is only healthy for some people; some say it has to do with blood type, others say it has to do with different nutrient needs, etc. Does anyone have any information I can read that addresses these sorts of claims?

Thanks!
Jess
Travis N.
user 10980900
Boulder, CO
Post #: 1
I have read that same argument in several publications. In response to impressive vegan athletes or to people who have seen their health drastically improve when they went vegan, a number of people claim "this doesn't work for everyone." I have attempted to trace down research to confirm or deny these statements and have come up with nothing. (If any of you who are reading this know of a study regarding veganism and different body chemistry, please pass it my way.)

Since I haven't turned up a single study along these lines, my conclusion is that those who claim that veganism only works for a certain body chemistry have no basis for their statements. Once I see someone provide an example of the type of person who physically can't handle veganism (along with a scientific study to back up that statement), then I'll believe it. Next time your friends posit this argument, I would ask "Which body types can't handle veganism?" and if they actually tell you something, reply with "Where did you read that?" Most likely they won't be able to tell you. Scientific claims require scientific references. If they can't provide these references, then they are just making up stuff to justify the fact that they like hamburgers more than they care about animal cruelty, health, or the environment.
Laura K
user 10862267
Boulder, CO
Post #: 32
I don't know of any research that says that different types of people respond differently to veganism.

I recommend Jack Norris' website http://... www. veganhealth. org as a reference on vegan nutrition. He's a long-time vegan, Registered Dietician, dedicated vegan activist, and one of the founders of Vegan Outreach. Jack will give you the most unbiased, best researched answers to any question you might have about vegan nutrition. His research has proved to him that vegans can be perfectly healthy, but we do need to pay close attention to nutrition. We run the risk of being deficient in certain nutrients over the long term if we're not careful.

Laura