addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Ali (AJ) T.
user 12922261
Boulder, CO
Post #: 1
Hey everyone, if you don't know me, my name is AJ and I am a vegan journalist. I recently wrote an article on Hair Feather Extensions and the cruelty that goes behind them. I wrote this piece because these hair accessories are vastly popular in the boulder community and I think it would be cool if we could get some action going to raise awareness about the roosters killed for their feathers.

When I first started noticing these, I thought that they were made out of synthetic material, but apparently they are not. In fact, they are made out of the saddle feathers of male roosters. 1500 roosters are killed a WEEK for these things at one farm in west colorado. It's becoming evident that this is becoming a huge problem.

I am open to discussion as to how we can get some action done. My initial idea was to make appointments at salons that carry the hair accessories and inform them of the synthetic alternatives. There are cruelty-free hair feathers available, and they are also made from recycled material, so it's nicer on the environment as well.

here's the link to the article I wrote: http://www.veganmains...­

Thanks for reading, I hope that if you didn't know about this then now you do.

Sincerely,

Ali (AJ) Tadayon
Annie
AnnieEsq
Boulder, CO
Post #: 7
Ali, this has long bothered me, and I didn't even know the scope of it. But when I learned that the feathers not only aren't synthetic, but have flesh attached to the end of them, it became instantly clear that they aren't even vegetarian - that animals die for them. I am *sure* that most people who wear them have no idea.. have you considered submitting an op ed piece to the Camera?

Annie