addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Costa Rica JS Message Board › Real time web applications

Real time web applications

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello,

I've been hearing abut "server push" for a long time but I haven't had the time to go more into it until I found this in smashing magazine

In that article, the author uses http://pusher.com/...­ to achieve the real time app. I've heard that other libraries such as socket.io can do the same (and free).

Do you know about any other libraries?

Regards
Rommel C.
rmmlcstr
Heredia, CR
pusher is not exactly a library, is mostly like a gateway!
Roberto R.
user 35842362
Escazú, CR
I ended up using Pusher; Here is the thing...

So Web Sockets are really cool, hard to implement on YOUR server and easy to implement on the Client;

In fact, Heroku does not support it and I have not checked Joyent lately; So you'll need to deploy your own Web Socket Backend or figure where to deploy. ( not sure about this, just my experience )

Let's say you used Socket.io or Faye.JS in your backend and deployed to Heroku ( like I did at first ), then you realize you are not really using Web Sockets but Long Polling instead. Which works, but it's not Web Sockets.

In my case, all my users where using Chrome which supports Web Sockets; If I'd be dealing with a large amount of users with browsers that won't support Web Sockets. then I would not care and just deploy Socket.io to Heroku or wherever and live with Long Polling or JSONP fallback.

But I really wanted to use Web Sockets, so I turned to Pusher and it work's great; My App is part of an ERP, I send push notifications about changes in Prices, Inventory , Invoices ready to print, etc; So I can live within the "Free Limits" of Pusher;

Yes I do agree, Pusher is more a service than a library; They do include their own JS library to connect to Pusher and handle reconnection and fall back. Pusher also has a Web Admin UI where you can test , send messages , etc.

Is the same thing with all bleeding edge technologies, one thing is the prototype and another the full fledge production app;