addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Miami Critical Mass Meetup Group Message Board › Group Ride to Drug War Vigil on Miami Beach - 06-17-11

Group Ride to Drug War Vigil on Miami Beach - 06-17-11

Flash-Wallflower G...
Miami, FL
Post #: 6
Hello, Everybody! I wanted to invite everyone to the Candlelight Vigil for Victims of the Drug War being held on Miami Beach on Friday, June 17 - the vigil starts at 8:00 p.m. and we discussed having a ride starting from Government Center that would go to Miami Beach in support of this gathering. Dario is willing to help lead the group to Miami Beach - ideally with the sound system.

The Candlelight Vigil marks the 40th Anniversary of President Nixon's start of the War on Drugs. Over the last 4 decades, a large number of people have died as a result of drug prohibition - more than those who have died from drug overdose. Even now, the U.S. has the largest prison population as compared to any other nation in the world - there are over 2.2 million people in prison with a large percentage due to drug crimes - most are non-violent offenders.

The Drug War claims the lives of innocent bystanders, families, police officers, non-violent users and many others - in addition to those stuck in prison.

This is not a rally - this is a solemn gathering to commemorate those lives who were cut short due to the Drug War. Our goal is to bring people together and share stories of those who were lost. We are inviting people from all around the area - including the police officers to respectfully participate in this vigil.

The Candlelight Vigil will be held at the Miami Beach Police Station on Washington Ave and 11th Street from 8:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

The ride will leave Government Center at 7:00 p.m.
People will start to gather at 6:30 p.m.

For more information - check out

Candlelight Vigil for the victims of the War on Drugs - Miami Beach­beach

Thank you for your support.
A former member
Post #: 184
Count on me...

I copied and posted this on the Miami4Peace yahoo group site
Flash-Wallflower G...
Miami, FL
Post #: 7
Non-violent drug users have been demonized as scapegoats for the failing of society, yet it has been the public policies of prohibition that have morally & financially bankrupted our nation. We have more minority people in jail than in college due to unbalanced incarceration rates -costing billions each year. Yet "fiscal conservatives" consider ending the Drug War as soft on crime -this is wrong & it needs to change!
Flash-Wallflower G...
Miami, FL
Post #: 8
Thank You to everyone who participated in Miami Beach's Candlelight Vigil for the Victims of the Drug War. It was a good gathering, yet to be a more effective movement with the influence to change laws, we need to reach out & connect with more individuals & organizations to have a larger impact. We have come a long way, but we still have much more to do. Liberty is a group project, so let's get more people involved!
Sammy F.
user 17028251
Miami, FL
Post #: 2
you could count on me. I'll be there