A former member
Post #: 2
Bike Bus/Train Video

The idea of a bike train is that a group of riders going the same direction at more or less the same time agree to set a schedule that would allow them to ride together and have others join the ride as it comes through their areas. Some schools have set these up, along with walking school buses as an alternative to using buses.

I commute 5 days a week from North Beach (77 & Collins) to downtown Miami. There must be thousands of people doing the same each morning via bike, bus, or car. An organized, scheduled bike train along this route may encourage these commuters to at least try using a bike, especially all the people I see standing at the bus stops along the way. I/we would need to hand out flyers and promote this to make it grow.

Without doing any real research, and from my own experience around town, other possible routes would include: South down SE 2nd ave from Little Haiti, West through little Havana (6th st.?) to downtown, and N from CG and Coral Gables meeting a train coming from Virginia key and then on in to downtown.

As for myself, I am willing to join a bike train, lead a bike train, or ride with anyone that would like to try commuting and just doesn't want to do it alone. I can alter my route and schedule somewhat to accommodate other riders.

ideas? suggestions?
Eddie S.
EddieSuarez
Miami, FL
Post #: 27
Sounds like a great idea! You can count me in. I'm coming from the Dadeland Mall area and heading into the grove. I work only 6 miles away but I don't bike to work because I'm deathly afraid of getting run over. A bike train would make me feel safer.
A former member
Post #: 858
ya - cool concept. i'd join you - but don't have to commute.
Collin
emperor_tomato
Group Organizer
Miami, FL
Post #: 13
I'd be into trying that, I am going to Downtown from Biscayne. Everyday I see people riding down Biscayne on my trip, I think it would be a cool idea. I need to find out more info about bike storage at my building but if you get this started I'd be interested in trying it out. Also, if you set this up I will send out an email to all the members letting them know about Bike Trains throughout Miami, maybe you can really start something.
A former member
Post #: 3
Collin,

I could come across the bay at 79th st. and meet up with anyone going South down Biscayne or E. 2nd Av.into downtown.....This would not be an easy thing to pull off. It would take a lot of promotion and maybe participation of other groups in the community.....but how cool it would be if it were made to work....a mini-critical pulling into downtown each morning.