addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Miami Critical Mass Meetup Group Message Board › Friday Night: The Gap Dilemma

Friday Night: The Gap Dilemma

Andy R.
AndyRodriguez
Miami, FL
Post #: 17
Andy, that avg speed surprised me, perhaps you could give more information about your experience?

when you're sprinting to catch up how fast are you usually going?
when you say that's your avg speed, do you mean it's the average for your whole ride, or the speed you typically see when you're in the mass?

Just checked my logs on my PC, avg speed is confirmed. I use the Edge 705 on my Trek and log in all my rides to track progress etc ... my avg speed on Friday's ride was 10 mph ( I brought a first time rider with limited experience) and I rode with her the entire time.

The avg speed on the last few CM rides was 12 - 14 mph ...
Leah
madameswanky
Miami, FL
Post #: 5
Maybe have a "code of conduct" online that we need to agree upon, have a decal to go on the bikes etc.

There is a "code of conduct" on the Miami Bike Scene Blog. True, it probably should be replicated on the Meetup page and I will bring that up at our next Emerge meeting. Nevertheless, you cannot compel people to read, and often they don't.

Even if people in the front go at a steady pace and a reasonable speed, gaps tend to form. Check out the video at this link. It's a study about traffic jams that some scientists at MIT conducted, but the video shows how traffic jams form even when cars are going a consistent speed on a loop. It's inevitable, and the key is to have people throughout the ride making sure the mass sticks together despite these natural cycles.
Andy R.
AndyRodriguez
Miami, FL
Post #: 18
It's inevitable, and the key is to have people throughout the ride making sure the mass sticks together despite these natural cycles.

Awesome idea ... I know the vest, neon idea etc. is not a good one because of the reasons posted above but maybe something less "flashy", a right side arm band, flashing yellow light on the bike, dunno, something to identify the "ride leaders" or "mass compactors" to others, so they can keep a visual and keep up etc without these people having to verbally ask people to keep up the entire ride.

If we have a team of 6 - 10 pacers, scaterred throughout the mass, if these people can be identified by the riders (not a visual target for authorities) that may work to kep the mass together. The message should be to mass yourslef around these people and in turn these people can keep the agreed upon mph pace ... dunno, just random thoughts ...