Google is offering a free online web accessibility class starting Sept 17 and going through Sept 30. Everyone who creates websites needs to know about website accessibility since it is required by federal law (Americans with Disabilities Act) for any website that sells in multiple states, for entities such as charities or education that are subject to 508 Rehabilitation Act (aka anyone who receives federal funds, 501c non-profits) and most states have similar legislation - Texas does for example. Since this appears to be a free course if you don't have a good understanding of web accessibility you may want to find the time for this course.
Introduction to Web Accessibility
According to the World Health Organization, 285 million people have vision impairments. As web applications have grown rich and creative, they have become less accessible to these users.
Introduction to Web Accessibility is an online course that introduces tools and techniques for web developers to easily ensure that websites are more accessible to users who are blind or have low vision.
Discover fast and simple ways to make websites more accessible
• Learn the fundamentals of using ARIA within HTML5Maintain a Web 2.0
• experience while increasing potential user base
• Learn tips and tricks to build in accessibility without breaking code
Inspect accessibility within minutes using Google Chrome extensions
• Inspect accessibility within minutes using Google Chrome extensions
• Experience your websites as a keyboard-only user through ChromeVox screen reader
• Find opportunities to build accessibility into existing code with Accessibility Developer Tools
Dates: Introduction to Web Accessibility runs with support from Google content experts from Sept 17 - Sept 30, 2013 and can be completed at your own pace during this time.
Format: Text lessons, supplemental videos, practice code exercises and a hands-on project
Unit 1 - Introducing Web Accessibility & Tools
Unit 2 - Adding Interaction: From Web Documents To Web Applications
Unit 3 - Using Live Regions
Unit 4 - Putting it All Together
Registration and preview: https://webaccessibility.withgoogle.com/preview