Here are the details:
- When: Sunday, April 15, 9:00am-Noon
- Where: Offutt Island in the Potomac River [GPS Coordinates: 38°58'27.71"N 77°13'20.59"W]
- Meeting Point: Downriver side of the island, below the standing cabin, near the channel that flows into Offutt Wave.
- Access: Paddlers may start anywhere upriver from Offutt island. The put-in beach at Anglers will give you a short, flat water float down to the island. Others may choose a longer run by starting at Sandy Beach from Great Falls Park, or from GFP Virginia. However you get there, please arrive on the island a few minutes before 9:00am.
- Logistics: We will bring at least one open canoe that will shuttle trash bags from the island to the mainland. I'm working on a second --- please let me know if you want to bring an open boat for this purpose.
- Take-Out: Once we are done cleaning and hauling the trash over to the Maryland shore, we will take out there below Offutt Rapids and carry your our up to MacArthur Blvd.
- Parking/Shuttle: I suggest that some of you park either at the MacArthur Blvd pull-off, just west of Brickyard Rd where the trail leads down to Offutt, or in the neighborhood just on the other side of MacArthur. To access the neighborhood, turn up Brickyard Rd, then left on Stable Ln, then left on Masters Dr, then left again on MacArthur (this MacArthur parallels the main MacArthur). From there you may shuttle up to Great Falls Park or Anglers, or simply carry down to Offutt via the footpath.
We are teaming with The Nature Conservancy of Maryland/DC
( http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/maryland_dc/index.htm) and the Alice Ferguson Foundation
( http://potomaccleanup.org/trash_initiative/trash_cleanup.shtml) on this project. TNC owns the island itself, and appreciates our efforts. AFF has a long tradition of sponsoring Potomac Watershed
clean-ups, and has a comprehensive annual program to support volunteers. NPS is also aware of our project.
To view our site, go to http://potomaccleanup.org/trash_initiative/rc_sites.shtml, select Montgomery County, and scroll down to Offutt Island.
AFF will provide the following, which I will bring to the site:
- Heavy-duty orange trash bags
- Mid-grade blue recyclables bags
WHAT TO BRING (in addition to your paddling gear):
- Sturdy shoes or boots (in a dry bag, if possible)
- Work gloves
- Water and snacks
Student Service Learning
Montgomery Country Public School students may earn SSL credits for this project. AFF is a pre-approved program, and TNC will also support SSL. So, bring your forms (I will bring extras) and we will get them completed and signed.
After we have hauled the trash out to the mainland and up to the street, I will ask each of you to take 1-2 bags in your vehicles for disposal. Thank you!
If you want to bring non-paddling family and friends, they could be very helpful in hauling the trash bags from the shore across from Offutt Island up to MacArthur Boulevard. They would walk along the C&O Canal towpath and then the Billy Goat Trail to Offutt Wave and meet us there starting around 10:00 or 11:00am.
PLEASE CONFIRM YOUR PARTICIPATION.
Let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions. Looking forward to seeing you all Sunday morning.