addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

40 and over Durham County Library Book Club Message Board › Blood Done Sign My Name

Blood Done Sign My Name

A former member
Post #: 14
I found it incredible when Tyson wrote that Life magazine had featured a cover photo of a Lumbee Indian brandishing a KKK banner--that seemed too inflammatory for 1958. So I decided to look it up, and I found the article and photo, but the cover is all about skiiing in St. Moritz, of course.

A former member
Post #: 15
One more thing: when I read books like this with their careful descriptions of locations, I think it can be interesting to see them in person, and you may find that things aren't quite the way you imagined them from your reading. I did that with James Ellroy's My Dark Places once when I was in the Los Angeles area. I'd like to drive up to Oxford and look around, but I was curious how much would remain from 1970. I decided to try to place things on Google Maps, but I wasn't sure where Hwy 158 would have been in 1970, though it looks like it might have been Roxboro Rd. rather than the presumably newer loop road. I couldn't find Grab-All on any map (!), but when I tried looking up Four Corners, I found that there is a Four Corners Food Mart near the intersection of Roxboro Rd. and Goshen St., and looking around the intersection in street view I could not believe my eyes. At that intersection there's a sufficiently old-looking building that matches the book's description of the Tidewater Seafood Market, which was abandoned in 1970. Hard to believe it would still be there.
A former member
Post #: 16
Hmmm, and Larry Teel has a website where he presents his own version of what happened, condemning Tim Tyson. Read at your own risk. I found it interesting primarily because of the reproductions of newspaper clippings, the alleged missing pages from Tyson's thesis, and the assertion that the Teel businesses were under a boycott at the time of Marrow's killing.