addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

DC Spin Doctors Message Board DC Spin Doctors › Group Ride Etiquette

Group Ride Etiquette

KMJ187
KMJ187
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 29
So new Riding Season and some new riders. There is going to be a lot of group rides this year and rides to rallies. I usually do my normal safety briefing before any ride, and I will continue to do so, but here are some things to consider. Reason I bring this up is I just wrapped up the annual 5 and Dime run in Richmond, 100+ miles or Honda Ruckus riders... they are a rowdy bunch and ride pretty aggressive... it was not my ride, and I kept my safe pocket and enjoyed the ride. Here are some things to consider when we do our group rides.

PREPARE
Always top off gas and check your bike over before any ride (we usually do not plan gas stops till later in the ride) check oil, tire pressure, brakes, ect. I always say this, you break down, I cannot get you home, you better have a back up plan please!

RIDE FORMATION
*We leave in order, preferably the slower rider to the front
*Staggered formation alternating off the leader
*DO NOT TAIL GATE other riders, this is very dangerous, you are in their blind spot, also do not drift a mile back, we end up with cars in the formation. Keep it about 30-50 feet at speed, about 15 feet in traffic.
*DO NOT PASS other riders, NO HOOLIGAN RIDING, the spot your in, you stay in, no passing, speeding up, slowing down, getting in the passing lane and blasting past the pack. Keep pace with the leader and keep a proper distance from the person in front of you.
*Pass on signals, I always use hand and turn signals, give the rider behind you a heads up.

SPEED
*Group Rides are a nice relaxed pace, 45-50mph on back roads, 55mph on primary 2-lane roads. NEVER FASTER THAN 55mph. There is no reason to go that fast, and no hard accelerating either, we usually run 125cc scoots as the slowest in the pack, I always speed up at a rate that is comfortable with their pace even though I am typically on a bigger bike.

SAFETY GEAR
*Guys I have ridden for 18 years and have covered 80,000 miles and counting on 2-wheeled machines. I hate to say this, at some point you WILL WRECK. Not wishing anyone ill will, but it happens, gravity and 2 wheels, it often does not take much. I have had 3 major wrecks in all these years. But a proper helmet, jacket, glove, pants, shoes are highly suggested. In the past we have had folks show in shorts t-shirts and sandals. I am becoming less tolerant, I may ask you to leave the ride if you show up like you are going to the beach.

If you have no done so, its HIGHLY suggested you take a MSF course... you will learn a lot, have much better control of your bike, they teach techniques you will never just learn on your own. I have taken the course twice, its really a life saver!

Rules Rules Rules.. yes rules.. but these add up to a nice safe ride for everyone to enjoy. You want to ball wide open like a squid hooligan, do it solo ;-) Be safe, calm, relaxed, make friends, enjoy the ride!

Don D.
DonGTV
Southport, NC
Post #: 61
Great picture! Thanks for bringing this up again, Kevin.