Hi New Yorkers!
NYC Debate will be holding a meet up next Sunday the 14th, at 2PM. We meet at a table in the Sony Public Atrium on Madison between 55th & 56th St. (550 Madison Avenue) We'll have a sign displayed on the table so you can find us.
As always, our format of debate will be loose and informal. As a debate coach, I?ll ensure you all have ample opportunity to observe and experience debate.
Debate topic: as usual, we will find a debate topic suitable for the people who come. We want to debate on an important issue that all people find accessible. Feel free to come with recommendations. You will find some recommended debate topics listed under the ?files? section of the meet up website at http://debateclub.meetup.com/6/
In the last meetup we we debated on Beauty Pagents, Immigration, and Government sponsorship of religious schools (for example, Muslim Mandrasas).
Here's what you can expect:
* We'll start out with introductions so we can learn a little about each other
* A little ice breaking
* Overview of how to debate
* Overview of Topic
* Choosing teams and sides - I encourage you to choose a side that you don't believe in to make it more fun, but your choice!
* Debate starts! - Each person speaks for a few minutes introducing their ideas and countering the other team's ideas. We'll pause in between each person so you can discuss ideas with your team.
* Final Discussion - we'll talk about what we liked and didn't like in the debate, and have a chance to say anything we didn't bring up at the time